Which boat should I get? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2018   #1

Which boat should I get?

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the kayaking scene. After 6 days on the Middle Fork, I'm hooked! My background is rock climbing and mountaineering, so I need some help picking my first boat.

I'm 6'1", 170 lbs, size 13 shoes and 32" inseam. Thoughts?

Eric

Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2018   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Do you mean hard shell whitewater kayak or were you in an inflatable kayak (IK) on the MF? Assuming hard shell whitewater kayak, lots of research and figuring out what the end goal of boating will be for you. If you have a local shop or guiding service - go chat them up.

I like Leland's article to help the boat conversation:

https://community.nrs.com/duct-tape/...tewater-kayak/
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Definitely a playboat they teach good fundamentals and are great for an all around boat you can keep when you advance maybe a newer Fun or a jitsu (can’t spell) rockstars are great but really pricy
ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018   #4

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
From my experience, playboats teach you just as many bad fundamentals as they help. I don't recommend you use anything shorter than a Fun to start. I personally would recommend a standard sized river-runner to start, and maybe get a playboat in a year or 2. Ultimately, both types of boats will force you to learn different sets of skills. I recommend the river-runner first, because it's more stable. Having a more stable boat early on builds confidence to continue.

I'd recommend looking at mostly used boats that are in the 8'-9' range. This sport has a high turn over rate for new comers. Save yourself some money early on, when you have no idea what type of boat you'll like best. After you develop your skills, you'll have a much better idea on more specific types of boats you will prefer.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
I'd recommend looking at mostly used boats that are in the 8'-9' range. This sport has a high turn over rate for new comers. Save yourself some money early on, when you have no idea what type of boat you'll like best. After you develop your skills, you'll have a much better idea on more specific types of boats you will prefer.
^^^
This, x-1,000,000. I've been into kayaking for 22 years and this advice has never changed. Your first boat should be purchased used, cheap, and as soon as possible. Budget $300. You can often find them with sprayskirts included.

This is not the time to look at new kayak websites or shop in stores. Hit Craigslist, FB marketplace, or the for-sale board at your local college. It's summer. Buy a boat and get on the water.

Find some nearby flat water and get your butt in your kayak and spend as many hours as possible simply farting around. Learn to edge the boat, feel paddle strokes.

Watch some videos on good forward brace and sweep stroke fundamentals.

Get to the local pool or find a friend to teach you to roll. The sooner you learn how to roll, the sooner you will push yourself to work on edging and boat control--because you know you can roll back up if you flip.

Find a solid crew and get on some friendly Class II/III whitewater and learn to read water. Dress to swim. Bring beer. Enjoy the river.

Next winter, shop for more specific boats.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote