Where to live? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-09-2009   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Where to live?

So it looks like there is a good chance of me tragically leaving CO in the next few years, but I get to pick almost any decent sized city in the states. Anyone got recommendations? Looking for good access to skiing and of course class V paddling. Seattle might be the ticket, but I am worried about the winter...

Thoughts?

Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Seattle or Portland. Be sure to pack plenty of full-spectrum lightbulbs, Goretex underwear and a tub fulla anti-depressants. Oh, and a big box of Slug-B-Gone. They grow 'em big up there. Other than the gray winters, the NW is pretty damned gorgeous. And, all that rain does do nice things for the rivers...
Old 10-09-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Say it aint so, Joe. Theres no mank in the pac NW. You'd be known as "the boater formerly known as the mank crew".

I've done some thinking about the same question. My top three were denver, seattle and portland. Seems like some of the top 3 for big city employment options, combined with good access to boating and skiing. Asheville always pops in my mind as a boating haven that might be worth giving up the skiing for. Not 100% sure on that one though.

Seems like there would be some good options in Cali. Don't really know the lay of the land in cali well, but it seems like many options get you close enough for weekend road trips to the good, but not so close for after work or quickies.

Lots of smaller metro areas in oregon and washington that have seemingly decent options / access / location as well.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Norcal brah, being the murse that you are you don't really have to worry about afterwork stuff, so I would choose Sacramento just because of its central location, but don't live in San Fran, nick abrams lives there and has enevatably spread everything alex kilyk has to the masses.
Also I see a peoblem with you moving out west, when you kayak you actually have to paddle, make moves and punch holes; not the best area of expertise of a mankster such as yourself.
#2 area is morgantown, there is so much sick creeking up there and you get to meet some fine yolcals up there as well, only problem moving there is that the skiing is eastcost shit but for your pizza/french frie ass it won't matter.
In the same catagory I would put Knoxville, creeking looks sick there and your imbred ass will fit in perfectly.
And as always the PacNW the number one reason to move there is the kayaking is sick and your close to BC but the drawback is you will enevatably be turned into and EMO and have to sip on your latte while crying that there is no sun wearing your tight jeans and some shirt that is too small and some black rimmed glasses, if you move there you will be forever known as Emo-Joe. But if I moved there I would move to portland, that way you and kilyk could relax and eat 2 lb hamburgers for 8 bucks at the accrotchalus and when you get off that 3am shift you can head in there and get some cornhole and eggs.
o yeah have fun in Texas but don't stay to long becuse only two things come from texas steers and queers.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Portland and Seattle are both good. I personally like portland more, less traffic, a little cheaper, less attitude. You would be 30 minutes from the Little White Salmon, and countless other runs. A lot of shit out there is basically year round, if you don't mind kayaking in the snow and rain. You could always try to get a job at the Hood River hospital and then live in the center of outdoor sports in the PNW.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
And as always the PacNW the number one reason to move there is the kayaking is sick and your close to BC but the drawback is you will enevatably be turned into and EMO and have to sip on your latte while crying that there is no sun wearing your tight jeans and some shirt that is too small and some black rimmed glasses, if you move there you will be forever known as Emo-Joe.
There is some danger in making the NW move. The good news? Lots of pale, hot chicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_kq6dq1OmyZ1qzzhzdo1_500.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	2019  
Old 10-09-2009   #7

Golden, Colorado
I'd take the opportunity to pick up a new thing if I were you. Surfing is where it is at, man. Move to Santa Cruz or San Francisco, preferably Santa Cruz, and learn how to surf. With your athletic skills you'd probably be charging big stuff in the winter within 3 years.

The best thing about surfing is that the danger-to-exhilaration factor is TONS lower than it is for class V creekboating. I find that a lot of the rush I get from creeking is from overcoming fear and nailing a line to survive without getting my ass kicked but the rush I get from surfing is from weightlessness. The rush from surfing is still intense but not nearly so do-or-die sharp and edgy. Creeking makes me feel like I'm having a heart attack sometimes and surfing is more of a euphoric feeling.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Minneapolis. Sick SUP paddling on the Mississippi and ice skating in the winter.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009   #9

The important thing is that you go to a new city via TX. That way you'll just be happy to be out of TX.

Knowing the kind of boating you like to do I'd suggest Nederland.

Seriously, if you want good skiing and good kayaking you have 3 choices:

1.) Somewhere near Tahoe. Sac and Reno are decent sized cities but not that cool. They're both pretty close to the goods but skiing in Tahoe can be feast or famine.
2.) CO. You know the drill here. Durango, Glenwood, Front Range.
3.) PNW. Anywhere from Portland to Bellingham with Portland having pretty mediocre skiing. I personally think the skiing in the North Cascades is much better than the skiing in CO but that is just me. This is the obvious choice if you can handle the winters.

Wait...I just realized you choose to ski Keystone. Maybe check out some options on the E. Coast?
Old 10-09-2009   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Speaking as someone with experience in Portland and Seattle (and still lives near Seattle), Portland as a City is way better in all respects that I can think of. Seattle is a way more expensive place to live and has way worse traffic. It also rains a lot more and is not nearly as nice in the summer as Portland. However, skiing is better up at Baker (where I go) than Hood. Rock climbing is way way way better in Northern Washington than anywhere in Oregon (of which I have explored the state very thoroughly for such). You are much closer to lots of multiday boating in Oregon, although, the drive from Washington is not bad (get to most places in an easy day), such as the Rogue, Deschutes, John Day, Grande Ronde, Owyhee. Overall I would have to go with Hood River area! if you could find a job. My 2 cents.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote