Where to go and what to do? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-13-2013   #1

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Paddling Since: 2007
Where to go and what to do?

I'll be out there the first week of June on a family vacation. I want to get in a little bit of boating, but not stick my wife and kids waiting for me all day. I've never been to Colorado, so I'm open to suggestions not only on runs, but also on a scenic path to take through the state. I have a brother in Farmington, so I'll definitely be passing Durango. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions!

p.s. I'll be paddling a Monstar and my western boating experience is limited to running the Grand Canyon in an XP10 last spring.

RomanLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Pretty much everything in Colorado will be running in June. What difficulty whitewater do you run back in the southeast? That will make a big difference on where people suggest you go. Example: Durango is more a class V boater destination. Buena Vista is more of a class III boater destination.......
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #3

Lake Charles, Louisiana
I'm just looking for some class II/III roadside stuff. I was thinking about just hitting a couple miles of the town runs in Buena Vista, Salida, and Durango. We'll probably spend a night in Buena Vista, since I'm sure I'll waste a bunch of time at CKS. Then we're going to spend a night at the Great Sand Dunes.

This is the stretch I was looking at on the Animas (32nd St Park to Purple Cliffs)...
American Whitewater - 09. 32nd St. Park to Purple Cliffs, Animas Colorado, US

Any sections in particuliar you'd recommend hitting in those towns? Anything I'll be passing near that would be a better choice than the town stuff? I figured those would probably be my best bet, since I'll probably just be soloing with my wife playing shuttle bunny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
If you're up near Glenwood, the bike path runs along the river through the entire canyon. Class II float above the damn and class V+ just below with class II/III in the Shoshone section all the way back into Glenwood. You could venture through the western half of the state from Durango to Grand Junction then to Glenwood around to vail then into the Ark valley. Another scenic route would be to go from Durango to Montrose then back towards Gunnison and into the Ark valley. Some good paddling on the Gunnison and Taylor rivers as well though less roadside save for the Gunnison play park.
Old 05-14-2013   #5
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If you're going to be in BV/Salida looking for class III, you really need to check out Brown's Canyon. It'll be packed with commercial rafts on the weekends, but still a top notch class III run that's pretty simple logistically, if not roadside. Roadside class III options are the Parkdale stretch further downstream from Salida (30 miles?) and Fractions/Frog Rock above BV has a dirt road next to it.
Old 05-14-2013   #6

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Another scenic route would be to go from Durango to Montrose then back towards Gunnison and into the Ark valley.
I was originally planning to go from Salida to Montrose and down to Durango. Then I read up on the Million Dollar Highway. My wife is afraid of heights, so that would have been bad! Especially considering I was planning to go southbound! lol

Thanks for the info y'all!
Old 05-14-2013   #7

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Roman, stick to the town sections if your by yourself.
justin.payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #8

Durango, Colorado
From Montrose just cut through Telluride to Cortez then the town run in Durango. Nothing for your wife to worry about. Plenty of water along the way to see too
skylinekelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
i'll play. do the million dollar highway anyways, its that good. What kind of rig you driving?? if you got desent suv you could take engineer pass from silverton to lake city on the way to BV. its sporty but doable. browns is rad but an all day affair, if it were me i'd borrow a bigger boat from cks and hit the numbers, i/2 day class IV roadside classic (easy to find partners just post here). the play parks in bv and salida should be on the list forsure. the narrow gauge railroad from dgo to silverton is a classic the whole family can do. have a blast!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote