where the hell is MOUNTAIN LION - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
where the hell is MOUNTAIN LION

I was looking at some pictures from www.rapidimagephoto.com and they refer to a rapid called Mountainlion on Clear Creek,what run is it on? where is it?I used to run CC with the guys that started CC Rafting like 8 - 10 years ago they had names for most rapids,most private boaters don't seem to go by names except:Extra Pussy,Lawson Hole,Outer Limits,Beaver Drops,Double Knife,Terminator hole,Blackrock,the narrows,Rigor Mortis,Elbow falls,AND SCREAMING 1/4 mile,that may sound like alot ,but is only a fraction of the good drops.I know there is Nomad and Upr. and Lwr. Pheonix but can't keep straight which is which.
Ran Lawson /Dumont yesterday had a real shitty day got spanked on Outerlimits, I've done that run like 10-12 times always higher water and can't remember ever swimming anything except once at 600-700 on Nomad ,I think,like 1998.Thought i was solid class 4,getting my ass kicked on 4- at low water,guess I''ve gone to shit!Ducky carnage pics on www.rapidimagephoto .com,private boaters/Outerlimits pm 7/10

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #2

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It is the rapid just past Clear Creek Rafting Co. under the foot bridge.
bigdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #3
EZ

Named for the mountain lion that killed Scott Lancaster, an Idaho Springs high schooler in ~1991. The covered bridge over that rapid is named for him. The most notable thing about that drop is the photo betties that Jessica has working for her right there taking pics.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007   #4

Class III. Doesn't matter, doesn't deserve a name. Us private boaters call it all boogie.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #5

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I checked out the photos of your swim and I figured out what you did wrong.....you paddled a DUCKIE!!!!!! You can't roll a duckie, or can you.....once you flip, your screwed. So why paddle a duckie? Please explain.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #6

I knew someone who could roll a duckie but they said it's so hard and often takes long enough that it's not worth trying in any rapids that are consequential.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #7

oh yeah
mountain lion isn't more than class II. Now dizzy lizzie, that gets stout at high water and deserves a II+, and the rest of the run is a lake.
dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The double up at Twister is bas ass - it can definitely eject unsuspecting guides
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007   #9

Denver, Colorado
that explains it ,it is on the I-spgs run so the rafters on the beginner run can get some picture

I ducky because thata what I started boating in initially for more adventurous overnight rafter type runs then I got pretty advanced for a duckier and realized i wasn/t really into the bring the whole damn family and kitchen sink rafter mentality ,so I made some kayaker friends and paddled with them.I kayak too can handle myself okay on intermediate stuff but don't roll well.The Force
Old 07-11-2007   #10

Denver, Colorado
that explains it ,it is on the I-spgs run so the rafters on the beginner run can get some picture

I ducky because thata what I started boating in initially for more adventurous overnight rafter type runs then I got pretty advanced for a duckier and realized i wasn/t really into the bring the whole damn family and kitchen sink rafter mentality ,so I made some kayaker friends and paddled with them.I kayak too can handle myself okay on intermediate stuff but don't roll well.The Force can be rolled under controled cicumstances but you're not going to get a combat roll,a good self rescue is your roll,I used to be the master of self rescue until I got out of shape,I'm getting it back but the rest of my paddling is not what it used to be,sucks.If you self rescue as fast as a kayaker can roll thats a flip but not a swim,if it takes to long or you loose gear need any assistance thats a swim.Also I'm too big to be comfortable in most kayaks and can't afford any new boats anyway.

One of the best aspects of duckying is the ease of travel I can get on any airplane or taxi/collectivo no worries,and always have aboat for nature floats,playin in the ocean,whitewater even 1st D'S.I may not be but the boat is capable of class 5.In some situations you are screwed if you flip especially if you're in the water being washed out by the faster mid depth laminar currents while the boat wants to surf without you,sometimes it throws down empty .If you're good you can self rescue in solid whitewater most of the time.