Where is the Run off? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2010   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Where is the Run off?

Can anyone tell me if the San Miguel will run? I saw that it hit 1500 cfs for about a week then that was it. Didn't these mountains get pelted this winter? Somebody has got to know!

Apohis1620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #2

We had a good winter, but it kind of petered out towards the end; and then there were a lot of dust storms that didn't do it any good either. I'm thinking it's gotta come back a little from the recent chilly spell.
rboater7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
is there any snow left in the mtns down there? saw it runnin 600cfs heard its a fun level for holes in ledges section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010   #4

There is enough snow on the north faces to make me think that it could come up a bit. Ledges is good down to about 500, with one pretty good hole.
Old 06-19-2010   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for the info. Kinda long drive from Junktown for a possibe bad run. Our local wave is here, surfin was great. hope to hit San Miguel next weekend if its still runnin.
Old 06-20-2010   #6

Yeah, it wouldn't be worth it just for the ledges. All of Norwood Canyon would give you more bang for the buck. The local wave; is that the one near the confluence?
Old 06-20-2010   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Where would the put in and take out be for that run? Like the camp site at the ledges so would probably rack there for the night. And yeah thats the wave I mean it was really hard to get it to surf my play boat however my buddy was runnin my back up redline and it surfed that one like crazy the Colorado drops 1000cfs a day so it may not be here long.
Old 06-20-2010   #8

Ledges would be good for camping. The put in is right at Norwood Bridge, which is just down the hill from Norwood towards Placerville and Telluride (about 5 miles from Norwood). If you do run Norwood Canyon be aware of the low head dam about 2/3's of the way down. There are signs on r. right before it. You can portage on the left or run it as far left as you can, There's a gravel bar, so you can't get all the way left. Just make sure you have some speed and hit it straight on. You DO NOT want to be in that reversal. Take out is anywhere you want at the Ledges, usually at the bridge. If you think about running from the Ledges to the power plant, know that there's a nasty looking metal fence that some genius recently erected.
Old 06-21-2010   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Thanks for the heads up on the dangers. Hope to do that run soon, really like that neck of the woods aqnd thanks again for the info on San Miguel
Old 06-22-2010   #10

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apohis1620 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the San Miguel will run? I saw that it hit 1500 cfs for about a week then that was it. Didn't these mountains get pelted this winter? Somebody has got to know!
It's in Lake Powell, ran a little early and pretty big. Super fun levels, just ran sawpit on Friday last week and it was still good times. I'd say it's getting a bit low for the ledges now, that hole is shallow and chompy as the flow dips below 900 on the Brooks Bridge gauge. Norwood canyon is still worth the float, just work those eddy lines!

Have a great run!
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote