When you roll - poll - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: When you roll, eyes open or eyes closed (and why in text)
Eyes closed 51 76.12%
Eyes open 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2005   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
When you roll - poll

Was with some new boaters today and they were having problems setting up the paddle. I asked them if they keep their eyes open so they can see the paddle near the surface and its angle, and they said no. I'm finding a few boaters I know do this with eyes closed. Now, I practice with eyes closed as a training tool, but I always open my eyes on the river.

Just curious what people do, and why.

How austentacious is it of the new guy to post a poll on mountainbuzz? That's your other poll question...

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005   #2

Learning in the pool I kept my eyes open, as you said to see the actions of the paddle. Now it is all a mental image anyway so I keep my eyes closed. No major reason, that's just the way it is.
TimmyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #3

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
I wear contacts, and don't want to see those rocks I'm going to hit anyway.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005   #4

Metro Area, Colorado
i was never even told to open my eyes when learning how to roll. in fact, i don't think i've ever had my eyes open when rolling, pool or river.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #5

I know that when I practice, my eyes are closed. But in the river, I seem to remember seeing almost everything before I hit it; so, I think I do a little of both.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #6

Metro Area, Colorado
i was never even told to open my eyes when learning how to roll. in fact, i don't think i've ever had my eyes open when rolling, pool or river.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
learn with eyes open, roll with eyes closed

When learning in calm water or a pool I kept my eyes open to ensure proper paddle placement, to look at the blade to see if it was diving etc. Once that was embedded in my muscle memory I rolled with my eyes closed. On the river, I keep my eyes closed most of the time. Dirt and grains or sand and crap can get in your eye and that really hurts. I have opened my eyes when I haven't just hit the roll right away (stuck in hole, swimming, getting recirced etc). For the basic 1st roll on the river, I would generally keep my eyes closed, but that happens by instinct.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #8

open.. when in this predicament I'm usually being thrashed and desire the need to know where the air is!!!! "where am I ? " is why they are open! plus if I get thrashed real hard and my eyes are open my head sometimes comes outta the water and helps me see danger & location in the hole/river! I will also give a quick glance for buddies and take a breath !!!!! ooooh I dont miss this !!!!! Thats the importance in practing bracing in class II & easy , deep, run out III's!! so you only have to roll when taking a beating later on ![/i]
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
contacts, no
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #10

Paddling Since: 1993
Use the force young Skywalker. Sight is for the weak. Feel the rocks and paddle angle about you! I for one have never opened my eyes underwater except while squirtboating, its fun to see the deep dark beneath. I dont see what is wrong with opening your eyes but the question is will your roll be as good if you cant see? If the awnser is yes then you need to learn without your eyes so you are not put at a disadvantage in the event that you cant look at your paddle. Once you learn it is easy to feel.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote