When will the Poudre Start Running? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2014   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
When will the Poudre Start Running?

So I have been waiting anxiously for a poudre rock report update in my email box, but as everyday goes by it seems to evade me. AW is reporting runnable flows but only a fool falls for that old trick. As of this morning AW reported 370 CFS but if I am correct there is 270 coming out of Seamens so that only leaves about a 100 in the Good Stuff. Does anybody know the status of Joe Wright Reservoir?

Jmannhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
It's 198cfs coming down the lower North Fork, 11 miles of class II/III if anyone wants to run it.

Also Filter Plant is at 300cfs.

Rock Report still at zero, maybe 2".
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #3
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
It's 198cfs coming down the lower North Fork, 11 miles of class II/III if anyone wants to run it.

Also Filter Plant is at 300cfs.

Rock Report still at zero, maybe 2".
Hey Bob, what do I need to look for to run poudre park at a good but low level before it gets raging? I've never ran it before.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2014   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Right now the gauges are:

243 at Livermore. This is below Haligan (below the upper N Fork run)
282 below Seaman. This is the N Fork at the confluence, which is at the top of Filter Plant, and below bridges and everything else.

410 at the Canyon Mouth. This is what you have in Filter plant

So there's 410-282, or ~ 128 cfs in the main stem. If this is all coming from above, that's probably about 0 on the Pineview gauge. IMO, 120 cfs is enough to scrape through the narrows (all of it), or do laps on lower narrows (probably the best option). 120 is way too low (at least for me) for any other run.

410 is plenty to scrape down filter plant. 410 would be something approaching 2' on the Pineview gauge, but again this is only below the confluence with the N Fork.

See the Colorado DWR site for all these gauges. The Poudre usually doesn't run until May.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
Hey Bob, what do I need to look for to run poudre park at a good but low level before it gets raging? I've never ran it before.
Only the rock matters - cfs on the poudre is irrelevant.

Poudre Park flows:
.8' - actual minimum - you can float it lower but lower than this is not kayaking, it is sledding
1.5' - fun minimum
2.3-2.6' - low
2.7'-3' - med-low - coming together
3'-3.5' - med
3.5' and up = fun

For my money the higher the better. Really the only rapid to worry about is pineview which you can easily see from the road. I consider it all class III until 4' when pineview bumps up into the IV- range. Each inch above 4' feels a lot bigger. Your picture looks like lower narrows - I think lowers is always harder than poudre park - so you'll be fine.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #6
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post

Poudre Park flows:
.8' - actual minimum - you can float it lower but lower than this is not kayaking, it is sledding
1.5' - fun minimum
2.3-2.6' - low
3'-3.5' - med
3.5' and up = fun

For my money the higher the better. Really the only rapid to worry about is pineview which you can easily see from the road. I consider it all class III until 4' when pineview bumps up into the IV- range. Each inch above 4' feels a lot bigger. Your picture looks like lower narrows - I think lowers is always harder than poudre park - so you'll be fine.
sweet thanks!
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post

Poudre Park flows:
1.5' - fun minimum
2.3-2.6' - low
3'-3.5' - med
3.5' and up = fun

Add 2' to these numbers and I agree.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #8

x, x
street doctor, sounds like you got what you needed, hit me up when you come up to the poudre and we can paddle a lap or 2.

Lots of people in the canyon yesterday. I ran FP just because it had the most water.

A few folks ran bridges, and I guess a few lapped lower, John and Co. anyhow....

It should be good for FP laps and bridges(low) also, narrows I guess. I'll find out in a few hours....

Also, lower n.f. poudre is at 200, upper at 280? shit, thats good to go...
Old 04-14-2014   #9

x, x
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post

once it hits 2' its fun, and counts as boating, any lower and its training, or warm up. you will dig poudre park up to about 3.5' then you'll need to miss a few holes, once you know where the holes are, you'll dig it past 3.5 too..
Old 04-14-2014   #10
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't worry about the gauges or the rock report, just wait until it floods in the fall and when the police are saying its closed it probably means there is enough water up there to boat...