When will beginner runs start to flow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-01-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
When will beginner runs start to flow?

Hey all,

I just started kayaking WW last year, towards the end of the season with a 2 day class on the Colorado labor day weekend. I spent the winter slowly gathering equipment through craigslist and the swap on this site, and attending a couple of pool sessions so I wouldn't entirely forget my roll..I plan on hitting up a couple more before getting back on moving water.

My question is, when can I expect the beginner runs to be at good flows for a some decent practice? I'm aware that spring runoff can be unpredictable, but I'm anxious to get started ASAP.

Just looking for start dates for some class II/II+/III- for practice with eddy lines, ferrying, and rolling mostly. I'm thinking the Ark area (Milk run, Salida town run), or the Colorado (Grizzly Creek-Glenwood), or Clear Creek above the Golden PP?

WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Anything around G-wood is flowing right now. Shoshone is at a decent level as well as grizzly.
Shotgun Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey this is Dan i have been kayaking for 4 years the season for those rivers vary on the water level but clear creek usally starts in the begining of april i would say april 8th or so but the flow is running to a point were it is doable but it wouldnt be very good but if u want i can meet up with u an teach u more and go to clear creek with ya or meet u up there in the summer i go when i dont work or right after work so almost everyday if i have time heres my number 303-726-3820 plz dont hesitate to call or text whenever
mmafighter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Sweet, good to know I don't have to wait as long as I thought.

Is there a break in the season where I'll have to wait for the runoff flows to calm down?
Old 04-01-2012   #5

Summit County, and Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetExit View Post

Is there a break in the season where I'll have to wait for the runoff flows to calm down?
I dont think that will be much of an issue this year, if you are timid of high water. I bet it peaks for only a couple of weeks.

Some beginner runs are already running on the arkansas, if you have a roll than you should jump into something.
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #6

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
A small group is making a run from Grizz to town next Saturday on the Colorado near Glenwood Sp. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Easy II+.
Old 04-02-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the invite Nessy. Gotta supervise an easter egg hunt on Saturday, but I'm sure I'll get out soon. Good to know there's a few out there willing to paddle with class II+ beginners.
Old 04-02-2012   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Gunnisons been flowing for a while now.....a bit bony but perfectly good to go.

The Colorado in the Palisade/Grand Junction/Fruita area flows year round, lots of great beginner water there.

I know its far, just saying there is beginner stuff going in some places already
Old 04-02-2012   #9

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The Salida Playpark was fun on Saturday, plenty of water and the BV playpark was fun too - the beginner wave by the downtown area was perfect and friendly for a first-time surfer