When is a swim a swim? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2004   #1

Mad Scientist/Creeker
When is a swim a swim?

So Patrick and I are on USB yesterday, when he pins on a rock in the slack water. He exits his boat, and then climbs up his boat onto the rock. He doesn't even get his hair wet, nor does he have to swim from the rock to shore. Is this still tallied as a swim? Does he still have to drink from the booty? We were torn, so we thought we'd let you decide.
Evan J

RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
In addition to not even getting his hair wet, you didn't have to chase down any gear, no one risked endangering themselves trying to save him, and there was little or no lost time on the water. Its not a swim. He was just dealing with an obstacle in the most basic way.

-Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #3

I was on the Gorge several years back (Mr. Clean days) & stuffed my boat under Wall Slammer. I jumped out, waited for my boat to surface for several minutes, and found my paddle down stream. My head was dry, but I swam. No question about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004   #4

An unplanned departure from one's boat? Sounds like a swim to me no doubt.

Spencer - I'm glad to see that middle age is allowing you to more readily accept your shortcomings. Atta boy!

BTW - I've swam too many times to list here in this forum...might crash the server with too much data.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #5

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
No Swim

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. My boat was horizontally pinned--stable pin, but could not get my boat off. I climbed out of the cockpit and stood on my boat. Took a little while to get unpinned. I had no other alternative but to exit my boat.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #6

One time I swam on the Big South Platte. But it was snowing, so that doesn't count
Old 06-29-2004   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Sounds like a short portage to me...

So he simply portaged from one side of the rock to the other.

Doesn't sound like a swim to me..
Old 06-29-2004   #8

C.O.
In a swim, the river decides that you will get out of the boat NOW! You have (or believe you have) no choice but to get-out-now.

In the pin you describe, Patrick realized the boat was stopped. He could have eaten lunch there, just sitting in the boat. He exited the boat ON HIS TERMS, got out, stretched his legs, repositioned the boat, got back in, and continued downstream.

I vote NOT a swim.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsawater
One time I swam on the Big South Platte. But it was snowing, so that doesn't count
It counts. buy a six pack to share, drink from the booty and say 5 "hail Ferries"
81230rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like a smart, calculated move to me.

I don't think anybody could be faulted for exiting a pinned boat. Would you have felt better if he swam a little? Swimming sucks and it sounds like he managed to avoid getting wet. Good Move!!!
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote