when do the campsites fill on the poudre? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2006   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
when do the campsites fill on the poudre?

If I want to camp up on the poudre at one of the "improved" spots, when do you have to show up? Are they mostly open until friday evening? Can you get anything saturday at noon?

Might try to do some family rafting, but won't have a chance to get up there till later in the eve friday or maybe even saturday morning.

Anyone else planning to camp that might be willing to grab me a spot and just stick a cooler or a second car there?

Are there any that take reservations?

Dave

720-298-2242

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006   #2
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Most likely they'll be full by none other than "gapers"favorite kind of recreationalists.....the RV'ers. Call ahead and try mountain park campground for reservations. It's usually pretty easy to drive a little ways up pingree road and find free car camping.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks. Mountain Park apears to be the only one to take reservations and they are full.

I did get a pm from someone headed that way, but they may be going a little too late.

Anyone else headed up mid day?

Sounds like there are options up Pinegree and Jack gulch that dont fill up, but they are farther than I care to be from the river.

Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006   #4
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Usually the campgrounds are full by noon-ish on Friday and very seldom do any open up on Saturday, i.e. folks tend to stay the whole weekend. None of the USFS campsites are reservable. There is however, lots of free camping along Pingree Park Road (head up Poudre Canyon towards Rustic and take a left across the river). It's well signed.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #5

Cañon City, Colorado
camping on the poudre

Last weekend we noted the opposite.

That is, we foud a great site along the rio (at the Ansel Watrous campground, along the Lower Mish section) Friday afternoon. . . the rest of the sites filled up by early evening. The next morning, EVERYONE there packed up and left except for us. I was shocked. But, by late afternoon all the sites were filled again. I don't know if this normal or a freak incident, but just an observation.

kristyn
kristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006   #6
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Dont forget concerts at the mish are huge factor in camping. Check out the mishiwaka website-I think there's a few shows this weekend. The place will be ripe with hippies drivin Exterras and other sorts of trustafari...and dont forget the Mobile-"starter castles", towin a giant fifth wheel, trailer of ATV's behind that, outboard boat trailer behind that, canoes and bicycles on top of that...
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote