What's your plan if season is a BUST in CO? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-28-2014   #1

SW, Colorado
What's your plan if season is a BUST in CO?

I'm going on the Grand in April, then hopefully to the Northwest or East Coast after that.

If the Colorado season is a bust, that month+ will have to hold me over for a while.

I'm crossing my fingers for lots of Powder turns this spring, and lots of runoff this summer. But if La Nina and Global Warming screw us this spring, how are you going to appease your river jonesing this season??

fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
first off, I've learned through last season that it wont be an entire bust. Gore and bailey are staples in a drought year.

second, It gives me more time to spend on runs like OBJ, daisy and the crystal. Those ran low last year for some time, giving me lots of time in the area.

And if you time the peaks you can do a quick lap of the state from south to north.

But like you said, an early season cali or PNW followed by a fall release out east.

I plan on getting at least 200 days this year, so I will be far from skunked, unless of course I fuck up early.

then there is always plan b: just replace "economy" with "water levels" and it makes sense

I am kidding with the clip of course, but I sure get nervous...

"We'll have the second half of Dans report tonight at 11."
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There is plenty of good paddling in Colorado in below average years. If you don't know where to find it, you are not looking hard enough.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014   #4

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
You do not need a plan b...

for May paddling in Colorado.

Take a look at the current snow tell data for the western US. Colorado is doing fine respectively. California in bleak.

You could paddle great rivers through out the state during the month of May and mostly through June.

When the run off ends get some laps on bailey, gore, the black canyon. Then head to the PNW or BC area while getting what is good in ID and WY on the way.

See you on the river.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #5

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Colorado is my plan B

Colorado has it made, or is at least on track for a normal year save the San Juan and Rio Grande basins, which would help make up for the crazy conditions in New Mexico.

My plan B is the Ark - last year I was forced North and this year looks even worse. If the South Park reporters are blowing their brains out on the air you can understand why there are no reports from New Mexico.

The latest SNOTEL snowpack data:
Colorado
New Mexico
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella View Post
I'm going on the Grand in April, then hopefully to the Northwest or East Coast after that.

If the Colorado season is a bust, that month+ will have to hold me over for a while.

I'm crossing my fingers for lots of Powder turns this spring, and lots of runoff this summer. But if La Nina and Global Warming screw us this spring, how are you going to appease your river jonesing this season??
If Colorado's season is a "bust" then I am taking up knitting....but seeing how 2012 wasn't a bust, I am looking forward to lot's of kayaking in 2014.

Snow conditions have been stagnant for a week or two now, but it's not unusual to get a dry spell in January. That's about to change.

About the only places garaunteed to have better water than Colorado with the way things stand right now are the PNW and British Columbia.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Pnw is mostly rain dependent so don't count on high water stouts good backup is always Wyoming Montana And Idaho and than to bc
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Crossing my fingers for the 2' potential this week and weekend...

As I've posted elsewhere, it was about this time in January, or maybe a little earlier, when BuRec decided in 1983 that because of the average snowpack at the time no draw-down was necessary for Colorado River system dams.

What of course followed were some epic storms and, according to some, it was touch-and-go for loss of GC Dam.

So here's to some 1983 late winter moisture!
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Last year and 3 seasons ago weren't looking great in April. Then late snow in may changed the picture. Looking pretty good so far.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #10

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm w Duct Tape. Bring on the snowpocalypse!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote