What's Yarmony Grass scene on the upper Colorado? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-15-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
What's Yarmony Grass scene on the upper Colorado?

I was wanting to raft next weekend, realized the Yarmony Grass festival is going on that same weekend. I have nothing against it, but I'm not sure I'm looking to deal with the added hasle of crowds and craziness.

Anybody have experience with how crowded it gets? Is it a zoo? Is it mainly confined to the rancho and state bridge areas? Will it spill over to the pumphouse area and catamount? Would it be a pain to try to launch a boat at Rancho or State bridge? I'm guessing river camping will be as crowded as ever..

thanks..

kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010   #2

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It was certainly crowded last year, but not too bad really. We went from Pumphouse to Rancho. If youo get out early, you'll likely beat much of the chaos. I think most of it followed us down, as it started getting pretty rowdy as we were leaving Rancho.

Camping is another story. I wouldn't even consider it for that weekend myself. I'd go somewhere else altogether.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
thanks.
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010   #4
shattusi

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
where else do you get to listen to a floating band while on the river. lots of fun but it will be a little crazy. especially in the afternoon.
shattusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Even without any type of festival this last weekend was a shit show. Maybe it was due to the nice weather (no rain) that brought out everybody. There was everything from bachelor/bachelorette parties, dogs swimming the entire stretch without life jackets, to drunk d-bangs pulling right next to your raft and breaking your fly rods, etc. Wasn't hard to find camp sites as the majority were doing day trips. As BoilermakerU said, get out early!
ssoren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #6

Littleton, Colorado
How early is early? What time do the floaters hit the river? Do they float pumphouse to State Bridge? (I don't want to miss them- I want to crash the party!)
AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010   #7

Thronton, Colorado
Last weekend certainly was a zoo, even without the band.

I don't know exactly what time the band puts in, but last year they put in at Radium, so you could float down to Radium and just hang out until they put in. It was after noon I am pretty sure, because we typically don't get on at Pumphouse until 10:30 or 11:00 coming from Denver.
Old 08-17-2010   #8

Summit County, and Idaho
By 10:00 the put-ins are a zoo! Last weekend was crazy indeed. But..thats what it is. So be patient, have a good time!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #9

Littleton, Colorado
I'd like to take the 18footer down there for the party platform. Will I have any trouble sneaking a boat that size down at these levels?
AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010   #10

Thronton, Colorado
There's not much to sneak. I think you could float an aircraft carrier down there if you wanted to. The only narrow place to speak of is Eye of the Needle, and you should be fine there.