Whats the story with my Dory? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2010   #1
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Whats the story with my Dory?

Whats up buzzards? I got this sweet ass dory a few months ago and I am trying to find out more about it like who made it and when. I got it from a guy in Phoenix who got it from a guy in Arkansas who apparantly used to be a GC guide. It is supposedly made in the 70's and has been down the GC at least 7 times. It is around 15 ft long and is made of Aluminum. Has a self bailing rowers footwell with cold storage on either side, two massive dry storage compartments as well as smaller ones in the bow and stern. Does anyone recognize this boat or the style in which it was built? I would love to get some more info on it or some stories about some of the dents. If anyone has some info or could point me in the right direction that would be awesome! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2306.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	2663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	2664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	2665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	796.1 KB
ID:	2666  

matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96

"Replica!"
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #3
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send the user "Peak" out of Palisade, CO a private message. He use to guide dory trips on the Grand and may be able to help you establish some of its history. He may not be able to reply for a while though because I believe he is on a Deso trip (with a dory he built last winter).
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010   #4

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Looks like an old Alumaweld to me. I don't know whether they still are, but they used to be available with dry storage. The dimensions are what they used to call a 16-footer here in the northwest. That just meant that the sides were made of two 8-foot plywood sheets, making the total length closer to 15 feet.. I'll bet the bottom is 48 inches, the width of a sheet of plywood. For some reason they used to make aluminum and 'glass drift boats only in the same dimensions as their plywood predecessors.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #5

Palisade, Colorado
sorry, don't know nothin' about this boat...nor did I guide on the Grand (Dinosaur), or am I on Deso (at home)...interesting boat though. looks like its seen some action...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #6

B.F.E., Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by -k- View Post
Send the user "Peak" out of Palisade, CO a private message. He use to guide dory trips on the Grand and may be able to help you establish some of its history. He may not be able to reply for a while though because I believe he is on a Deso trip (with a dory he built last winter).
A swing and a miss.
Quote:
sorry, don't know nothin' about this boat...nor did I guide on the Grand (Dinosaur), or am I on Deso (at home)...interesting boat though. looks like its seen some action...
I have nothing to add other than it looks like a cool Boat. I think you oughta throw some bomber style teeth on it to look legit.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #7
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Yes! Bomber teeth are exactly what it needs! Maybe a pinup girl too!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Contact High Desert Dories. The guy's name is Andy and he rows dories for GCE, as well as builds dories. He seems to know just about every dory out there. Any time I've mentioned one I've seen, he knows who and the boat's story. He's on the San Juan until Sunday, and should be back in Dolores on Monday sometime.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #9
-k-

Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sorry about that Peak, I guess I have the wrong profile. He is not on the buzz very often and I thought that was his profile.

Tags
aluminum, dory, grand canyon