What would you do to this old Hyside? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2012   #1

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
What would you do to this old Hyside?

Hey guys, long time lurker-first time poster from the east coast here. Great site, much better than any of the sites I have found that cater to east coast rafters!! You guys have already answered a ton of questions for me here!...and I'll try to keep this brief. I have been paddling/ rafting for years with friends/family who guide the New and Gauley here in WV (so mostly riding along on the big stuff). My expertise and passion lies mainly in fishing and only light whitewater (if I'm rowing). Until recently I owned only a duckie and a bucket raft but.....

My uncle GAVE me early 1980's 14ft hyside self bailer he hasn't used in forever. I don't really plan on doing big whitewater...as I am framing this to fish with in class II-IIIs (the calm parts of the new etc) and maybe hit a IV or two on occaission also camp here and there. We have taken the boat out several times for these uses.

Cosmetically it isn't too bad, main tubes are faded, some wear from frames etc....there are some small spots with frays but should easily be taken care of with paint or the flash of a heat gun, no checking/cracking/peeling at all and only one small patch I can think of. The main tubes hold air for as long as I leave 'em.

The two thwarts are in slightly worse condition and lose air very slowly (like get a little soft after 24hrs) , but nothing that won't be easily sealed with flex seal or might use paint.

The floor has itself is in good condition structurally but has a leaky leafield A6 PRV. The valve itslef seeps and the around the valve seeps a little. Still nothing too bad just top off once in awhile. This *should* be an easy fix.

Here is the kicker. I fill up from one military valve and the whole thing inflates...obviously the same for deflate, so I guess ALL of the baffles are bad?? I don't know how that is even possible but considering the light use I described above, the age/condition of the boat, and yet I want a sturdy and safe boat, what would you do to this raft?

I could keep it as is, free and just not run anything really bad in it EVER. Just row and fish basically.

OR, would you fix all the baffles, which in what I've read here might cost up to $700 maybe more?....not money I'm dying to spend considering I've bought the frame n' oars n' all that already, but at least then my guide friends and family could take us on the big water we are famous for here in WV.

OR is it possible to just get two baffles fixed just for a little added safety and keep her on still pretty "calm" stuff?

I really want to run this boat for awhile before I upgrade to something newer.

The expertise on this site is exactly what I need! Thanks and I look forward to being part of the community here!

-Tom

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012   #2

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
Tom,
It sounds like it was over inflated on several occasions and left in the sun. Also, I would bet there is still one baffle left intact and you have three failing. Your real issue that it's not worth fixing the baffles for lots of $ as the boat is too old.
montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #3
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If I understand correctly, there are no longer ANY baffles in this boat. Second, the main tubes are faded and the thwarts both leak.

Seems like the only way to rehab this boat would be to have it done professionally, which I suspect would run into a lot of labor hours. If you can do any repairs yourself, that's one thing, but opening up the main tubes to get at the baffles is a big job. And, if the thwarts leak at the sames, that would be good to know, because, again, fixing a pinhole leak or bad valve seal is different from opening up and reglueing a seam.

I'd take it to a shop and get an estimate. By all means I wouldn't go into anyplace remote in a single-chamber raft. One leak can sink it, etc.

Sounds like the boat was left in the sun pretty often. That's usually how glue around baffles goes bad, i.e., heats up and loosens.

By all means
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012   #4

Monatana...yes that is the issue, "how much money should I spend on an ancient raft, if any?". I'm fine with spending some $$ on the gear as I do plan on someday upgrading.

BCJ I believe they are pinholes in the thwarts although I have not yet tried locating them. I have some experience in repair, but I'm not doing the baffles. I do have a guy that does that here, I plan on talking to him about it this winter, but I wanted expert opinions on what a break point might. For better or worse we don't really have anything I'd really call "remote" here like y'all do out west, so thats a plus *kinda*....it does bother me having a one chamber boat none the less.

sun-that makes sense!

So lemme re-word my question...since I've heard these early 80's hysides are "bomber", how much money would y'all consider sinking into it?? I think I'm hearing "Not much".

Thanks alot guys!
Old 08-01-2012   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
Not much or none. Spend $ on good gear and save for Maravia boat.
montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I would be wary of floating in a single chamber boat, all it would take is one good size gash and you would be underwater in a matter of seconds. Your chances of swimming to safety are better in class II water, but people can drown in slow water too.

Forgetting for a moment the risk to life and safety, have you considered the value of the fishing gear that you would likely loose in such an event. I figure with two full sets of rod, reel and flies I have something like $3000 worth of gear on the boat. It's not worth the risk, even if I know I could make the swim.

Looking at the swap page you could probaly purchase a servicable used raft for somewhere around $2500. So spending $700 seems unjustified.

Sounds like a great 'project' boat for someone that wants to learn how to do serious raft repair! The baffle repair isn't rocket science, it's just hard to get at and therefore time consuming. You would need to slice open the tubes to gain access, repair the baffles, then patch the cut in the tubes. If you are a handy kind of guy and have some free time you could learn to do the repair yourself.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #7

Kengore, the single chamber does bother me, hence the question, but so does throwing the boat away! For the meantime I take as little gear with me as possible for this reason, I am very aware of the dangers of water, I have been a river rat my whole life and I have lost friends to drowning. I do tend to take on projects though, and that's why my uncle gave me this boat. I just know that the baffles would be time consuming.

I'm ok with the minimizing risk for the meantime until I can justifiably afford one, but $2500 is out of the question at the moment. At least our rocks around here are smooth and not the sharp ones you have out west, so my risk of gashing is minimal, although possible (there is a rapid named "metal chunk" in the new).

It just seems to otherwise be too good of a raft to give up on.

Would y'all really just completely scrap it and hafta wait 2-3 years to get back on the water?

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2012   #8

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Minority opinion

If you are willing to accept the minimal risk of losing the boat and other gear in the event of catastrphic failure, then I would row it as is. The boat is not worth putting too much money into. Maybe fix the pressure relief valve if it becomes too much of a PITA.
Old 08-01-2012   #9

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It's not the rocks I'm afraid of, it's things like broken bottles, barbed wire, sharp tree branches and chunks of re-bar.

If it were me I would try the baffle repair. Like you I would find it hard to walk away from a free boat. You could probaly get all the tools and materials needed for under $50. Offer to take the 'local guy' out to lunch in exchange for a detailed 'how to' discussion. Even if you had to bail on the baffle repair you could fix the access cuts and be right back where you started.

I've also heard of folks filling old boats with expanding urethane foam converting them into 'semi-rigid' boats. The foam is sold for filling the floatation chambers on pontoon style boats.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
It's not the rocks I'm afraid of, it's things like broken bottles, barbed wire, sharp tree branches and chunks of re-bar.

If it were me I would try the baffle repair. Like you I would find it hard to walk away from a free boat. You could probaly get all the tools and materials needed for under $50. Offer to take the 'local guy' out to lunch in exchange for a detailed 'how to' discussion. Even if you had to bail on the baffle repair you could fix the access cuts and be right back where you started.

I've also heard of folks filling old boats with expanding urethane foam converting them into 'semi-rigid' boats. The foam is sold for filling the floatation chambers on pontoon style boats.

WHOA! the foam is a great idea! Although the fold-up is one of my main reasons for liking inflatables so much....taking ole boy out to lunch ain't such a bad idea either, there's an awful good restaraunt nearby him.

I've been pushing rubber (ok well PVC too) for years now and I have yet to tear a "gash" in anything but I am pretty careful......come to think of it I prolly outta knock on wood right about now...