What would you do if ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-31-2005   #1

Paddling Since: 1993
What would you do if ?

You gave someone some footage out of good will and told them they could show their buddies but that they could not use it in any way. Then you got online a couple of months later and saw YOUR footage being used w/out your permission, or credit, to promote somthing that you had absolutly no say in, or even idea that it was being formed?

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005   #2

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Vigilante justice, baby. Rent yourself a Bronson flick and study up. And when you bust in the door with ball bat/tire iron/.44 mag deliver a cool one-liner before you wreck shop...like you see below.
Old 10-31-2005   #3

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
If you copyrighted the material you have rights. If the material isn't copyrighted you can't really do much unless they're profiting or gaining publicity from your work without creds. In that case, you can go after them.

The next question is a careful balance: If the costs associated with going after the perps offset the lost/potential profits then its worth pursuing.
Are these your friends? Why not just tell them to stop??

Otherwise, I agree with BastardSonofElvis: take the Charles Bronson approach, but use a rusty machete over a tire-iron. The duller, the better.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2005   #4

Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Does this "footage" have anything to do with Paris Hilton? If so I would be pissed!!
Or if it has something to do with kayaking footage, then I would be even more pissed, you should sue them for the millions they are making off of your sick video!!
God I would be so pissed..

Oh wait that would be lame!
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005   #5

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
In the U.S., if you created it, you own the copyright, period. You can give it away, license it, sell it, whatever, but you start out with it. No one else can give it away for you and giving it to someone for A does not mean they are authorized to do it for B. You do not need to register it, but registration makes it easier to prove that it is yours.

If it is yours, you should be able to do what you want with it. There will be naysayers, but shit - if you own it, other people should respect that.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #6

Ask a lawyer not a bunch of booze-soaked, THC saturated whitewater craving lunatics!

Phil.
PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #7

Your first mistake was that you GAVE someone the footage. With all due respect, stop feeling violated and get over it.
gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlebizzle
If you copyrighted the material you have rights. If the material isn't copyrighted you can't really do much unless they're profiting or gaining publicity from your work without creds. In that case, you can go after them.
I thought material is automatically copyrighted - in other words if you shot the video or photos or even posted on mountainbuzz the work is yours and must not be used without permission/credit etc. so yeah - kick his ass.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #9

1 give us the link and let us decide how good the footage is. ?
2 call him out.
3 use the bronson approach.
4 saturate yourself with thc and forget about it.
mankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #10

Raft Guide
--Karl, What in the hell are you doing with that lawn mower blade?

--I aim to kill you with it, Mhmm.
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote