What to dress for? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2010   #1

Owenton, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2008
What to dress for?

Coming out from Kentucky to do some paddling. My first time paddling out that way. What water temps should I be prepared for? I'm thinking its snow run off so might pack my drytop. Water is pretty warm back here but I wasn't sure how it was out there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to get out there and not be prepared.

Kene

Terrapin93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If you mean you are coming to Colorado bring your drytop, even in warm weather the water temps are cold.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #3

Owenton, Kentucky
Yea I am coming out on Friday. I don't have dry pants so would you recommend a wetsuit pant? What temps would you say water could be? Thanx.

Kene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010   #4

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd say most rivers would be in the low 40's, cold if you swim. If I'm worried about swimming I wear my neoprene pants and my dry top.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010   #5

Owenton, Kentucky
Not worried bout swimming but some in my party may. I really appreciate the info!

Kene
Old 06-22-2010   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Lots of us started boating in CO decades ago with wetsuit bottoms - they'll do. I started boating with a farmer john neoprene and a splashtop. COLD. Just depends on which runs you do, and what the outside temps are. Regardless, if you have a drytop, you'll want it with you. If it gets cloudy on almost any run in the state, you can get chilled quickly.

What runs are you thinking you'll want to hit? Some (Upper Animas, most of the creek runs) are colder than others (Browns Canyon & lower Ark runs).
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Browns and the lower Ark are not that cold right now (water temp of 58 degrees at Salida), but I would still recommend a drytop...but you will probably be ok with just a pair of shorts, even if you swim.
However, as stated before most of the rivers and creeks in Colorado are colder than this.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just don't forget your cufflinks and cummerbund for all those black-tie formals you'll be going to!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #9

Bugtussle, Kentucky
cufflinks? he's from Kentucky...shoes are a luxury. Kene, don't be expectin' much southeast pool-drop...
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010   #10

Owenton, Kentucky
Is it pretty much full on white water? Not exactly sure what we are gonna run. Have a week so as much as possible. Thinking maybe part of the Arkansas and poudre. Hope fully gonna hook up with someone to show us some lines. Plan on hitting a few playparks also.

Kene