What size yakima crossbars are Tacoma drivers using? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-10-2008   #1
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
What size yakima crossbars are Tacoma drivers using?

They come in 58, 66, and 78. Could anyone give me an idea as to how many boats each holds...i know it varies with how your stacking boats but I'm just trying to get an idea here. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOWTORCH View Post
They come in 58, 66, and 78. Could anyone give me an idea as to how many boats each holds...i know it varies with how your stacking boats but I'm just trying to get an idea here. Any suggestions? Thanks

go with the widest set possible. can always use more room.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
You're right, could always use the room. Anyone else use a 78 on a taco?
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
5 boats on edge across on the 58's without pushing it. More boats fit if you work vertically.

If you're installing rails on your Tacoma topper, note that the supplied bolts are not long enough to go through the "thick" part of the topper shell, but are long enough for the "thin" part of the shell.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Money! Thanks dude
Old 07-10-2008   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I believe if the ends of your crossbars go out past your side view mirrors on either side, it is illegal. I have never heard of anyone being pulled over, but I remember that when I was working in a shop selling racks.....
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I believe if the ends of your crossbars go out past your side view mirrors on either side, it is illegal. I have never heard of anyone being pulled over, but I remember that when I was working in a shop selling racks.....

I'm not a lawyer, but here are at least part of the applicable laws...(1) The total outside width of any vehicle or the load thereon shall not exceed eight feet six inches, except as otherwise provided in this section.
(2) (a) A load of loose hay, including loosely bound, round bales, whether horse drawn or by motor, shall not exceed twelve feet in width.
(b) A vehicle and trailer may transport a load of rectangular hay bales if such vehicle and load do not exceed ten feet six inches in width.
(3) It is unlawful for any person to operate a vehicle or a motor vehicle which has attached thereto in any manner any chain, rope, wire, or other equipment which drags, swings, or projects in any manner so as to endanger the person or property of another.
(4) The total outside width of buses and coaches used for the transportation of passengers shall not exceed eight feet six inches.
(5) (a) The total outside width of vehicles as included in this section shall not be construed so as to prohibit the projection beyond such width of clearance lights, rearview mirrors, or other accessories required by federal, state, or city laws or regulations.
(b) The width requirements imposed by subsection (1) of this section shall not include appurtenances on recreational vehicles, including but not limited to motor homes, travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, camping trailers, recreational park trailers, and truck campers, all as defined in section 24-32-902, C.R.S., so long as such recreational vehicle, including such appurtenances, does not exceed a total outside width of nine feet six inches.
(6) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Go big... I got the 78" bars for a trip to Mexico. Six boats was easy, eight would go. Just a tad outside the mirrors of my 4Runner. I recommend getting the Thule stacker as it provides a great place to transport paddles. Just remember to load them first as it's a pain to get the cam strap around them after the kayaks are loaded.

Laurie

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Or if you want a totally custom over-cab rack with all the bells and whistles you can dream up for a fair price PM me we'll chat.
Old 07-10-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Illegal to have crossbars stick out past your side mirrors. Probably not a huge deal if you do, but thats my understanding. I think I have 66" crossbars that come out to the edge of the mirrors. 5 boats on the sides easy. Can put two more boats on top of those with a bit more effort, so 7 no problem. I'd go with whatever width it is to the edge of the side mirrors. Rarely carry more than 5 boats, but its nice to be able to fit 5 easy.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote