What rescue PFDs offer rib protection? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2013   #1

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
What rescue PFDs offer rib protection?

What other rescue pfd's other than the Green Jacket have rib protection built into it and how well does it protect your side and ribs?

Is there anything else offered for rib/side protection that you can buy to go under your pfd?

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Kokatat | Ronin Pro PFD - PFDs - Products
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The GJ "spine and rib protection" feature strikes me as a marketing gimmick. They're just little plastic tabs that stick out that I can't imagine would make any difference in the event of a major impact. You'd get better protection by stuffing a cut up Gatorade bottle in the side of your vest. That said, I like the Green Jacket and use one. Any proper fitting vest ought to offer some protection. If you're serious about getting more significant rib/side protection, I'd think you ought to look into a motocross-type vest to wear underneath your top.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
I also have a GJ, for 4-5 years now, and just ordered a kokatat maximus Prime mainly because it seemed to fit me better...(havent worn it out on the rio yet) like KSC said GJ seems to be sort of trivial protection.
i seem to remember stohlquist had one of the early 'rib protection' features on a rescue vest. looked for it, but this new one doesnt seem to mention it in the description, although it still looks really damn nice...Descent
so maybe not too helpful, but still a pretty sweet option, with a 'wrapture' rib thing going on....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #5

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
No, I've got a Descent now and it offers no side/rib protection at all, and after a nasty flip on Wilson's Creek last week I'm determined to find a rescue pfd that has good rib/side protection.
GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #6
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
damn. well that's good to know. glad i ordered kokatat then, no second guesses... the new green jacket is pretty dope for a lot of reasons... fit isnt perfect for me tho.. that maybe a better option if you havent tried it.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote