what knot should I use for tie down - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2011   #1

San Jose, California
Paddling Since: 1
what knot should I use for tie down

Hi all,

I'm new to whitewater rafting and knots tying. We have to tie the D-ring from the thwart to the D-ring on the main tube. While rafting last time, the knot became undone after a few rapids. I would like to learn the name of the knots (or type of knots) you guys use so I can google it for picture. Thanks in advance!

niluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Well you can't really ever go wrong with a bowline, although I can't really picture what your application is? Usually, there is a pin system for attaching thwarts to tubes.
rjacober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
sounds like a job for the clove hitch
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I concur
rjacober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #5
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'm having trouble picturing your situation as well. If it really is D ring to D ring, why not use regular cam straps? In my older boats, thwarts were attached with narrow, flat nylon strap. If that is the case, the only knot that works well for flat or tubular strap is the Ring Knot, also known as the Water Knot.
water knot - Google Search
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #6
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Be careful when using the clove hitch. Useful as it is, and one of my favorite knots, the clove hitch should only be used when the load end is under a constant strain. It can loosen under load/unload cycles.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
check out this website. it has a ton of knots and shows you how to tie them.
Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care,
Old 09-20-2011   #8

Ashlandistan, Oregon
As mentioned there are a lot of systems that manufacturers use to attach thwarts to the main tube. A cam strap would be the quickest and easiest way to deal with D-ring to D-ring. If you are going to be paddle boating the cam buckle could be an issue for folks jamming feet under thwarts for stability. I would consider getting a piece of webbing with a plastic ladderloc buckle on it. In my mind it is going to be challenging for you to work with rope/webbing in that tight of an area and be effective with knots, i.e. to much of a p.i.t.a.
solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd use a strap and put the buckle on the thwart d ring to the inside so you can't hit it with your foot. usually the thwart d ring is higher up than the tube d ring so it should be away from your feet. wrap the strap around the top d ring a couple times so it won't slip down.

If that doesn't work, get some 1" tubular webbing (which holds knots well) and either do the basic square knot, or tie a loop in one end pass the free end through, so you can crank it tight, then throw a few hitches to tie it off.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
If you've got an iphone or ipad, there's an excellent app called knot guide that provides excellent step by step tutorials on pretty much every knot you'd ever need to know. If memory serves me it was $1.99, and worth every cent.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote