What is your favorite group dinner for a MF Salmon trip? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-22-2012   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
What is your favorite group dinner for a MF Salmon trip?

I'm joining up with some others on the Middle Fork of the Salmon in early July. I need to come up with 2 fantastic dinners for 13 people. I'd like them to be pretty good since I only know half the group. I've got a few ideas but I know there's years of experience lurking on the buzz. Any suggestions?

Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012   #2

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think every good river meal begins with kick ass appetizers. Nice cheese and crackers, vegetables and dip, guac and chips.

I no longer go all out on meals because we have so many kids and they never appreciate it and try to waste so much of it.

I like to have a nice hot dutch over dessert. Brownies or a crisp/cobbler.

With good apps and dessert, the main course doesn't need to be over the top. Chili, made at home and just heated up is always nice at the top of the MF when it is cold outside.
Old 06-22-2012   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
..... 2 fantastic dinners for 13 people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
Chili, made at home and just heated up is always nice at the top of the MF when it is cold outside.
shoenfeld - see above. maybe it's cuz I don't really like chili that much, but I would hardly put that into the 'fantastic' category.

kenny - how many dutches if any is the group bringing?

I have a chicken dish that several have claimed is the best meal they ever had on the rio. I will work on the recipe later for you.

I like to do a nicely marinated pork tenderloin on the grill with twice baked potatoes (made ahead) or coconut quinoa.

Grilled ahi ( rolled in panko wasabi) light char (very hot fire) on the outside raw inside yum.
with rice, or....

Shrimp pasta in a light garlic cream sauce or sauteed shrimp topped on pesto pasta.

BBQ marinated chick breast with scalloped taters and ...

or

I could keep going but I am getting too hungry.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
D.O. enchiladas...nuff said.

greasy meat and cheese...with some fresh guac....mmmmmm
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #5

boulder, Colorado
Carvedog, please invite me on your next trip. It sounds great.
Old 06-22-2012   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Carvedog, please invite me on your next trip. It sounds great.
Hit me up next January and put in with us for our date....we do pretty well on drawing - usually every other year or so and if not then cancellations work.

When you buy quantity it is so much easier to afford awesome.
For our heat and eat meal ( day two on the MF when I knew we were running Dagger, Velvet and wanting to soak at Sheepeater ) I did chicken curry and then did some a few curry yogurt marinated breasts on the grill to augment.

I have to admit I love to cook and do it well out there. Everyone takes their turn and only cooks one dinner and breakfast and it's awesome.

This is the ahi loin we put on the grill with eggwash, wasabi, rice flour ( I'm glutarded these days).

I also tried pad thai and it was pretty yummy but I can do better next time. And second Goodtimes call on the ducth oven enchies. I usually go chile verde pork with a home made verde but canned doesn't work bad either.

Old 06-22-2012   #7

boulder, Colorado
Thanks Carvedog. It's funny, I love to cook at home, but when I am on the river with my kids I scale it back a ton. Maybe I need to leave the kids at home and improve my river cooking. I love hanging with folks that enjoy cooking on the river. I am going on Deso in a couple weeks and I too am looking for a few good ideas, so I hope this thread brings in some good ones. That is one big ass piece of $$$$ fish...yum.
Old 06-22-2012   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a serious dutch oven addiction. DO meals - enchilada casserole, chicken pot pie, pizza, bread, southwest corn casserole, lasagna, brownies, cobblers, pineapple upside down cake, cookie bars. Non-DO meals - creamy pesto tortellini, grilled brats or burgers.
Two 12 inch DOs or one 14 inch DO + two 10 inch DOs for dessert will get'er done.
Yum Yum Yum
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Quote:
Thanks Carvedog. It's funny, I love to cook at home, but when I am on the river with my kids I scale it back a ton. Maybe I need to leave the kids at home and improve my river cooking. I love hanging with folks that enjoy cooking on the river. I am going on Deso in a couple weeks and I too am looking for a few good ideas, so I hope this thread brings in some good ones. That is one big ass piece of $$$$ fish...yum.
Kids change things a lot. It's what they will eat. We don't have food 'fights' on the river about what they will eat. And it's about getting apps out quick and get the meal done. The eating at the crack of o dark thirty doesn't work for the youngsters at all.

I pre-prepped and froze a bunch of stuff for this last one and it all worked really well. I want to get my own home canning setup so I don't have to use glass but still get the seal.
Old 06-22-2012   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
Gourmet Shish Kabobs

I guess I was always less enterprising on the river, preferring to do more of the work at home. What we used to do was get some good steak - New York strip, leaner rib eye, etc - when it was on sale, and cut it into 1" pieces. Then we would whip up a good marinade with things like red wine, molasses, garlic, teriyaki, and whatever else you might like. We would put this meat, and some fresh inch-and-a-half size mushrooms into either a really good tupperware container or a doubled-up pair of zip lock bags, pour over the marinade, and freeze the whole thing solid in the fridge. It would end up in a cooler that wouldn't be opened too frequently on the river. This meal would typically be eaten toward then end of the trip, by the way, after the non-frozen stuff was used up.
After the meat, marinade, & shrooms were more or less thawed, we would cut up some red bell pepper & zucchini we'd brought along, and open two or three cans of those small whole potatoes (you would need more for 12 people). While I detest most canned veggies, the little potatoes in a can actually taste better than fresh ones. Plus they are cooked already so they are done when everything else is.
With all this and some wood skewers in front of us, we would assemble the kabobs & put them on a grill over the fire, if there was one. Wood skewers are nice since they can be tossed in the fire. If you don't plan to have a fire, or cannot bring some sort of BBQ rig, this recipe would be tough of course.
Substituting frozen raw shrimp for the beef is even more gourmet if you don't mind having a few bears over for dinner.
To some of the deserts mentioned above, I would also add that fresh black or rasberries with canned (real) whipped cream makes a nice topping for any cake or brownies.

Bon Appetit
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote