What is the lowest... - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2012   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
What is the lowest...

What is the lowest that you have floated down Browns? I'm not scared of rock dodging/bouncing. Just curious if you can still float/push a 14'6 raft through the majority of it?

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012   #2

Centennial, Colorado
Me and my buddy rowed it at 300 in October one time. Everything was a go in our 14 footers. There was one spot just above Hecla where the boats wouldn't make it through either channel. We had to get out on the huge rock in the middle and lift one side so the other side would float through. Other than that just stay in the channel and you should be OK.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
So, what would be nice would be a feature on RiverBrain or EddyFlower (may you rest in peace) or even AW that people could post the lowest they paddled and which what craft:

Browns:
14'6 raft, 300cfs: Not ideal but it goes
Nimitz-class supercarrier, 127cfs. A bit scrapey, had to walk in one spot.
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Always can count on a laugh from you, Hojo
Old 07-27-2012   #5

That is a good idea, but you also have to keep track of who is setting these minimums. So when someone says something like Big Thompson is good to go at 50 cfs (and I've seen that on here) you can just feel free to disregard anything that person says in the future.

Or better yet just go yourself - you'll eventually get down and then you'll know for the future. Worst case scenario you might have an adventure that you will never forget.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #6

Silverthorne, Colorado
I actually keep track of my river trips and the flows just as you mentioned
Old 07-27-2012   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
I'm fine with any low water excursion, I am just not sure how the girl will enjoy 2 days of rock bouncing as her Grand Canyon "warm-up"...
Old 07-27-2012   #8

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
So, what would be nice would be a feature on RiverBrain or EddyFlower (may you rest in peace) or even AW that people could post the lowest they paddled and which what craft:

Browns:
14'6 raft, 300cfs: Not ideal but it goes
Nimitz-class supercarrier, 127cfs. A bit scrapey, had to walk in one spot.
FYI,

Just add a community note for a run (on riverbrain towards the bottom of the run listing) saying how low you ran it or add a river log with that info. Some users are pretty diligent about tracking their runs anyways.
Old 07-27-2012   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
That is a good idea, but you also have to keep track of who is setting these minimums. So when someone says something like Big Thompson is good to go at 50 cfs (and I've seen that on here) you can just feel free to disregard anything that person says in the future.

Or better yet just go yourself - you'll eventually get down and then you'll know for the future. Worst case scenario you might have an adventure that you will never forget.
OH, snap! Gannon, you got served.
Old 07-27-2012   #10

I paddle Browns the first week of July at 350 CFS at Hecla. Commercial rafts were getting stuck in Pinball, Widowmaker, and especially Raft Ripper. If you go expect traffic jams, since I don't expect the commercials to stop running trips.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote