What is going on with Bailey - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-29-2007   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
What is going on with Bailey

Waterton is 800s and Deckers 300s and Bailey 0? I think not my friends. Beta? Want to hit it tomorrow?
Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007   #2

I drove by it on Tuesday morning, and there definitely wasn't enough water to float a boat. Situation could have changed since then - if so let us know!
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007   #3

I believe most of the water is coming in below Bailey and the Robert's Tunnel Diversion. Definately looks too low right now.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007   #4

I visited the Colorado Division of Water Resources website a while back, and it looked like the gage used in the past to represent discharge at Bailey has been discontinued as of January 31 of this year. I doubt anyone noticed because the river was probably frozen. As far as Waterton Canyon goes, I suspect that there must be tributaries on the South Fork South Platte past the gage on Deckers that are contributing a sizeable amount of water or that the gage on Deckers is not working properly. Past visual observations of the North Fork South Platte above Waterton suggest that the discharge has been hovering around 150 cfs, so it can't be contributing much water. As for Waterton, kayakers tend to know when it's running high or low (it just feels a little more pushy). So the gage at Waterton must be reasonably accurate.

Since the gage typically used to represent the discharge at Bailey has been discontinued (I think, varify it), it would be great if the mountainbuzz staff could get rid of that gage on the flows section and replace it with a more representative gage like Grant or Conifer.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
IF the other gauge is defunct, we should use this one instead. It's basically flow at the takeout.

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06706400 N.F. SOUTH PLATTE RIVER ABV ELK CR AT PINE, CO.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #6

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Looked manky on Monday near Pine.

Gaugewise, we also have the Roberts Tunnel gauge #55 in addition to the ones downstream, so the Bailey gauge loss is really more an inconvenience than anything else.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #7

Seattle, Washington
Hasn't this been hashed out before? If you're curious about whether Bailey is running, just check the Robert's Tunnel flow on Watertalk, I think it's like #50 or something.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yonder, why do you care?
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #9

Seattle, Washington
cuz I feel the need to comment on rivers 1400 miles from me.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007   #10

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I'm looking to see if Bailey is running not whether there is water in Roberts. Generally these are the same, but not necessarily. Thanks for all the replies.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey