what is camping at ruby like? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-19-2007   #1

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
what is camping at ruby like?

planning on staying there, or near there for the summer, probably rolling in round may 15th or so. I know it can be pretty windy, but other than that how is it? crazy crowded? people hootin-n-hollerin till all hours? over all scene?

I have heard it can look like the lot at a dead show.. any truth to this?

any info appreciated

oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007   #2

ruby where?
kurfothich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #3

sorry, ruby campground between salida and BV.

as I understand, there is a rancher near ruby that allows guides to camp on his land. I guess its been going on for years, and is a overall good thing. Im just not familiar.

trying to get an over all idea of what to expect. sounds like a perfect location ( for me) as its only about a mile from Fishermans bridge.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
not too bad

I've camped up there quite a bit and run into several guides who stayed all summer. A couple of them were in tents and another was in a pop up camper. I don't recall anyone complaining about thieves.

The wind or a quick rainstorm may come through in the afternoon but I its not very frequent.

Not a bad place if your working for one of the companies right down the street.

Hope that helps.
Ryan
leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #5

At Ruby Mountain there's no shade. Not sure how important it is for you to be right at the top of the Brown's Canyon run, but if you have a vehicle, there are loads of campsites, many on BLM land where you can camp for free and also have privacy and shade.
ransark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #6

thanks a lot, those are the details I was looking for for sure! I do have a rig, but was hoping that i could just park it it camp, and use it for storage,and use the bike to get around. I do have a few large outfitter tarps, but sure would like to be around some trees for an extended camp (4) months . Rocks, and dust might get a bit old pretty quick.

If any one has other ideas, please let me know. thanks.
Old 02-20-2007   #7

The next zone, .
The great man who has allowed camping on his land is Joe Cogan. He is just about the coolest, most understanding, old rancher you could ever hope to run into. His land (the old Cogan pitt site) is just before the AHRA ruby site. This spot is also a gravel pit where locals get the dirt they need.

Over the past few years from talking with Joe he is gettin tired of the guides ripping up his land, leaving trash at the end of the season, letting dogs run everywhere, cutting new roads, parties that dont get cleaned up, human waste - well just raft guides doin their thing.

A couple years ago he got tired of the motor crowd tearing up his land and shut them out. I would have done the same thing.

I guess my point that is if the guides keep doin their thing - this spot will not be around for many more years. When this happens there is nobody to blame but the raft guides and from what I have seen they dont seem to care.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #8

yep, I understand for sure, and that sucks. I wouldn't allow that to happen long either. I have been a guide for a long time, and agree, however difficult it may be, that a lot of guides are pretty sloppy. Just as anything, it only takes a few to screw it up for eveyone.

so it does sound like it gets pretty roudy there, yes? do you know of any BLM area close to fishermans that you would suggest for an extended stay?

thanks Red
Old 02-20-2007   #9

you could probably stay there this year, and maybe even be a voice of reason to those less interested in the continued use...

you probably already know there is a 14 day stay limit at the ARHA ruby mtn campground, as if the $14 a day wouldn't already nix that one for four months...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote