What happened to the lower BV wave?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2011   #1

Bay Area, California
Paddling Since: 1998
What happened to the lower BV wave??

i was driving through bv today and went down to check out the wave and it seems like it is not the same.

i watched this video of dustin urban and it says the flow was 400, but today with a flow of 440 the wave is nothing like it was in the video. it's a green flushy flat wave on surfers left and the pile on the right is small and barely holding a pile. i can see they did some work on the banks and it looks like some new concrete was poured on the river right bank. what happened? why would they mess with something that was nearly perfect? i'm gonna be bummed if this thing got ruined.

here is the video at 400 from a few months ago.

A_Visceral_Revolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011   #2

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm pretty sure this video was made back in mid march, flows were 500 at that time despite what the title says (at least that is what I remember (cold)). I'm planning on a big post work play session tomorrow when it should be 500+. Below the 500 mark I see no reason to go down there(just to play), as the lower downtown wave has no crash, and the upper spots are very shallow(just elf from 4 to the pp).
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I gotta second (craigs?) post. I think you've got people looking at different gauges. The video is referencing 400 on the denver water ark at granite gauge, not nathrop. That translates into more water. I was in the hole the day that video was filmed and was in there about a week ago at flows similar to today. 500 on nathrop seems to be the bare minimum for BV Park. But not to worry, it will be 550-650 by this weekend!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011   #4

Bay Area, California
nice call guys. i decided to check out the flow charts during the first week of march (when the video was taken) and it was running around 530 in salida. the flow in salida today is only 400cfs. 130 cfs is a big difference. i had to use salida gage because all of the closer gages to bv were not recording data for early march.

so the flow in bv was probably only around 350 today. last year i remember the wave getting fun at 500ish (the level in dustin's video) and from 700 and up it was incredible.

and that will happen this weekend. sweet!
Old 05-05-2011   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Visceral_Revolt View Post
nice call guys. i decided to check out the flow charts during the first week of march (when the video was taken) and it was running around 530 in salida. the flow in salida today is only 400cfs. 130 cfs is a big difference. i had to use salida gage because all of the closer gages to bv were not recording data for early march.

so the flow in bv was probably only around 350 today. last year i remember the wave getting fun at 500ish (the level in dustin's video) and from 700 and up it was incredible.

and that will happen this weekend. sweet!
You can't use the Salida gauge for an accurate reading of what's in the Ark. There are a half-dozen (or more) ditches pulling water out of the river between Browns and the Salida Playpark.

Use the Granite gauge for Granite Gorge....Use the below Granite gauge for Pine Creek, Numbers, Fractions, BV playpark and Milk Run (It's the most accurate, the Nathrop gauge includes Cottonwood and Chalk Creek, both of which come in below the pp). Use Nathrop for Browns Canyon and Stone Bridge...and only use the Salida gauge for the Salida Playpark...anything below there use the Wellsville gauge until Parkdale.

The Granite gauge stays on year-round and is a better barometer for what is in the BV playpark in the winter, it can be found here:

Detail Graph

517 cfs at the below Granite site this morning...the wave should be better now.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011   #6

Bay Area, California
i surfed the lower bv wave last night. i hate to the bearer of some bad news, but the wave has changed - imo, for the worse. what a bummer. i surfed this wave at the end of last year around the same flow as last night and it has definitely changed.

as of last nights flow the surfer right pocket/shoulder is still there and feels similar to how it did last year, but the surfer left side has turned into a flushy flat wave, instead of having a pile like it used to. the only hope i can think of is that it is still at lower flows, and the heart of the structure - which made that feature great - is still there. So it may still be an awesome wave with higher flows. we shall see soon enough. but the fun little low flow wave, shown in the video above, is no longer as good as it once was.
Old 05-08-2011   #7

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Visceral_Revolt View Post
i surfed the lower bv wave last night. i hate to the bearer of some bad news, but the wave has changed - imo, for the worse. what a bummer. i surfed this wave at the end of last year around the same flow as last night and it has definitely changed.

as of last nights flow the surfer right pocket/shoulder is still there and feels similar to how it did last year, but the surfer left side has turned into a flushy flat wave, instead of having a pile like it used to. the only hope i can think of is that it is still at lower flows, and the heart of the structure - which made that feature great - is still there. So it may still be an awesome wave with higher flows. we shall see soon enough. but the fun little low flow wave, shown in the video above, is no longer as good as it once was.
Yea it changed. They had to rebuild the entire river left wing to work on the river right bank stabilization and she is just not the same as it was last year.

At give or take 625 cfs - 30 min ago the lowest wave is not a good playspot. Just like you said kinda a pile on the surfers right /river left but not steep enough to even front surf on the surfers left/ river right.. I hope as much as anyone and have my fingers crossed that she will come into good with more water but we will have to wait and see..

Also the upper hole had to be drowned for safety reasons and it is not even close to what it used to be. There was not enough money in the coffers to fix it properly so this will make it safe for a year until there in enough money for a proper fix.

As the nature of the river is ever changing and these spots are no different. Yes it is sad to see that the 2 best spots in the park have changed but we will just have to wait and see how they turn out with more water.. But as of 30 min ago and from every single person who has paddled a kayak on the lower and upper wave feel that they both unfortunately have changed for worse.
Old 05-09-2011   #8

The next zone, .
As of 30 min ago the lower hole is looking a bit better.

No pile, the river right still is not retentive enough to front surf, and it is not as steep as it was but it is getting better with more water.. While it has changed it is positive to see that it is gettin better with higher flows. With more water or at high water it looks like it will get better and I am excited to see the improvement with more water. Put in another 400 cfs and it should be fun.

The upper spot will be a total loss for paddlers this year as it is almost washed out at these flows of 675ish. This spot will need a total rework before it is back to what it was..

It is great that while these spots may not work out every year we have the Selby's down at south main who are committed and will put in the effort/$ to do whatever it takes to continue the progression of the park..

Thanks again south main..
Old 05-09-2011   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Looks like they just turned on the tunnel, and increased releases from the reservoir by another 100...water should be on the increase down at the park right now.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #10

I ran down to the park tonight after reading we were at 750 in Granite. Took some footage of each feature and threw this together. Kinda dark when I was filming it was close to 8 pm

I think the BV River Park will be good this year. LoDo is reshaping as the water comes up. Looks much better at 750 cfs than it did at lower flows. Downtown looks just like last year. Fun and easy at this flow, great for surfing spinning, looping, etc at slow speeds. Staircase is awesome as always. Tons of great use going on there now daily. People are having a blast at the Staicase. The Uptown Hole is improving in shape with more flows, and is actually looking better with more water on it. Last year it was not usable by anyone ( well most ) and it is very inviting now.

The other day I was with 9 paddlers who had a blast in all the features. LoDo was not in yet, but they really enjoyed the other 3 features. With LoDo on the return at higher flows ( 750 plus) , a softer upper wave ( uptown ) and the improvements at the Silver Bullet Dam just below BV, I think 2011 may be great for both our river park and our town.

Let's keep a watchful eye on things as flows change here in the spring. Just FYI, flows will bounce up and down in the next 2 weeks so things may look different when you come to paddle.

We are committed to making the park the best it can be for years to come. If alterations need to be made after this summer they will get done to make it even better for 2012.

Here is the clip, it goes from the top ( Uptown ) and finishes at the bottom ( LoDo ) so it shows all 4 features.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote