what happened on Clear Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
what happened on Clear Creek?

Any info on the incident on Clear Crk? It sounded like it was on "upr" run .Don't want to make light of any death,but did find it ironic that it was a Texan on Clear Creek after all the negative feedback to the: 20 Texans want to raft Bailey or Clear Creek thread.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015   #2

1 Dead In Clear Creek After Raft Overturned « CBS Denver

Probably been discussed before, but I wonder how a death effects a rafting business.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #3

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Hopper posted the story on the Front Range Kayakers FB page. The important thing was the inability to self rescue. The safety boaters said she was closer to 300lbs...in all honesty I think any rafter/kayaker should be able to do a pullup or at least be able to pull themselves into a raft in deep water. I don't know the lady and have never seen the lady but I doubt that she could, by herself get back into the boat. Even with assistance, pulling that large of an individual back in is difficult. It all adds to longer exposure and added fatigue on the swimmer.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015   #4

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Perhaps now is neither the time or place to criticize the deceased... This is an inherent risk of our sport and as guides we all have customers like this at times. We have a long season ahead of us and run off has just started.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #5

pnw, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Perhaps now is neither the time or place to criticize the deceased... This is an inherent risk of our sport and as guides we all have customers like this at times. We have a long season ahead of us and run off has just started.

Going to be a big year waterwise so there will be deaths. Try to learn from other peoples tragedy but dog piling wont help anyone.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey cayo 2, when you say "Don't want to make light of any death" but then go on to do just that you realize you're being a massively disrespectful douche right? Maybe when you finally buy the farm you will be honored with like minded urban Denver dwelling douche bags pissing on your grave but for now I guess you'll have to settle for sucking on my big hairy Texas balls. A women died, shut your mouth.
Old 05-27-2015   #7

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I guess my question is, should the rafting company have stricter rules for participants, especially in class IV water. Had this woman ever done class IV and should some kind self-rescue test be done. Should there be somekind of body weight guidelines if this indeed was a rather heavy person (300 lbs.) I realize everyone signs a liability waiver but maybe more scrutiny on companies side is needed. Just sayin!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #8
tew

This is the reason for the waiver is exactly for this catch 22, if you say no you can't go are you discriminating?
Paddle - take a minute read your post then read cayo's not much difference between the two, except cayo was trying to be tongue in check (maybe missed the mark). Just saying......
tew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #9

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Some folks have no business getting on a raft, but they do not comprehend the likelihood and consequence of the risk they are accepting by joining a commercial rafting trip. Commercial trips imply a certain level of safety that does not, in fact, exist for those unfit to participate. Just like theme parks require that you must be yay high to ride the roller coaster, the onus is on the commercial rafting companies to deny admission to those unfit to participate.
Joel_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #10

Steamboat, Colorado
I personally don't feel a connection between our thread on Texans paying someone to guide/babysit them down Clear Creek and this incident was necessary in any form. "Tongue and cheek" in this scenario is just inappropriate no matter who it comes from; it's disrespectful.
I think Paddle is right, if this woman were from the Front Range you would probably have a very different view of this incident, regardless of what weight range she was in.