What ever happened to the guide who got arrested? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-26-2010   #1

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
What ever happened to the guide who got arrested?

You guys remember the raft guide who got arrested because he swam over to help the 13 yr old custy? Just curious as to what became of that situation?

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010   #2

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Last I heard the charges were dropped.
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Everybody hugged.
Charges Dropped Against Raft Guides; Rescue Dispute Resolved - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
He/she should be lynched for trying to help comfort someone in a scary situation!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #5

Kingston, New York
From the article: "Too often, [sheriff] Krueger said, deputies arrive at white-water rescue scenes with dozens of people on the shore -- or in the water -- and no way to distinguish experienced guides from their clients."

Do outfitters in his county do things differently from almost every other place I've been? The vast majority of the time all you have to do is look at their helmet or PFD. Cheap plastic helmet = customer. Real helmet = guide or real paddler. Same for PFD's. I'm skeptical that anyone who's on a rescue team and doesn't already know that has the smarts of the qualifications to belong on the team as anything more than grunt labor. Granted, it's not 100% and still doesn't tell you about the individual's qualifications, but of all the quotes I've seen from the sheriff I don't recall any that make me think he's got a clue.
scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I love the part of the article that suggests the rafting companies finally decided to work with the authorities. Seems that the crux of the article is that the authorities decided to work with the outfitters.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #7

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Scar...do you expect a police officer to know the differences between helmuts? Hell I'm real outdoorsey but I couldn't tell the difference between skis from walmart and a nice pair. Why can't they just yell "Who is in charge?"
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The article makes it sound like the guides showed up AFTER the local authorities had taken control and were leading the rescue. I'm not saying the authorities were doing a good job (maybe they were, maybe they weren't), but any rescue professional wi/should know to go to the IC and identify themselves, offer assistance, etc, not just throw themselves into the situation. Helmets, yeah, that's stupid. People can just use their mouths. Communication is the key, especially during a rescue. I think it sounds like the most dangerous drug got involved, testosterone. But then again, I wasn't there.
Old 10-29-2010   #9

Kingston, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
Scar...do you expect a police officer to know the differences between helmuts? "
A beat cop in Brooklyn or Denver? No. But that's not who we're talking about. This conflict was in a county with a supposedly professional swiftwater rescue team that apparently responds routinely to incidents involving rafting outfitters. I would hope that they'd have at least some basic familiarity with the activities they routinely deal with, and recognizing a difference between 2 dozen people in cheap blue or yellow helmets and a few people in real helmets doesn't strike me as esoteric knowledge that's hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
Why can't they just yell "Who is in charge?"
That would work well, too, but since the sheriff says they have "no way to distinguish experienced guides from their clients" perhaps that's also an unknown concept. The government isn't paying me to be in charge of such things, but I'd have some idea as soon as I was close enough to see things, and a better idea after getting close enough to ask a couple of questions.

It seems to me that the real issue is that the sheriff didn't think it was necessary to be familiar with the resources available in such situations until this incident embarrassed him enough to be more proactive instead of waiting and reacting after the shit hits the fan.
scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #10
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
The girl had been lost for 45 minutes.
The guide who swam across wasn't on the trip, he came from the office.
From every report that I've heard, the FD guys got to the girl before the guide did.

Don't get me wrong, I just voted against Krueger about 35 min ago in G-town, so no love lost there & this is one of the biggest reasons I did, BUT the story told by the guides is rather self serving & strongly understates how poorly they dealt with the situation.
It's by sheer LUCK that the girl is alive, and seeing a situation where a commercial trip LOSES a custy for nearly an hour, if I was one of the S&R staff I would have had little regard for the guides as well.