What do you know about your crew? Raven Fork NC, - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-21-2012   #1

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
What do you know about your crew? Raven Fork NC,

Check out a write up, photos, and video, of the Raven Fork in NC, and a little retrospective thinking about what you know and what you decided to do with your crew.

Where is Baer ?: What do you know about your crew? Raven Fork, North Carolina

BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012   #2

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
One person called it bad mouthing your crew. I can see that, but I can also see that if you are on a run like Ravens every one should have at least one rope if not two. Also a pin kit, knowledge of SWR, and CPR, and the skills to deal with shit would be helpful. I have yet to run Ravens, but if I am running Class V with strangers I want them to be at least as prepared as I am.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'd question boaters putting on upper west prong before Raven. Unfortunately Raven has been turning into quite the gathering place in the last 5 years or so, perhaps due to the levels that people are going in there at. I know I've seen people in there at 6-7 inches that would get eaten alive at a more desirable level.

I'm with you though... I carry 2 ropes, multiple carabiners, and pulley's on rivers that may require me to get a pinned boat out or something of the sort.

Good news about Raven's is that it's all pool drop for the most part.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012   #4

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
It's cool, I know that dude. We paddled west water together. He's good to go.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #5

Farmington, Utah
Had a guy tell me he was a solid Class V boater from West Virginia. He said he had ran Mill Creek, Lower Meadow, and a ton of other creeks I had only heard bad things about. He had good gear, and seemed solid. On a trip to Idaho he tagged along to run Deep Creek. Not Class V, but it would be a good run to test is claims. Before we ran Deep Creek my buddy wanted a warm up run on the Upper Malad (Class III) at normal flows. This guy put in with us. He was obviously nervous, but made it to the bottom. Then we did another lap, he missed an easy eddy, flipped, and swam. He also said he was a bad ass climber, but was scared to fish his boat out of the dam that it pinned in. A very easy deal that could have been done without a rope he was terrified even with one. Goes to show you that just because someone says they are solid doesn't mean they are, but there are also solid guys that look for crews in a new area so we have to use good judgment.
Old 12-24-2012   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
What's interesting is when you transplant an average class 5 boater from the east/west and put them on the opposite coast. The creeking guys from the east coast feel out of control on the big water stuff out west, while the western boaters feel claustrophobic on the steep technical runs out east.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice write-up Baer. Particularly good video.

I agree totally with the statements about preparedness, I have been far more critical of members of my "crew" who have shown up unprepared for FAR easier runs....

The C-1'er is a freaking stud! Awesome to see him clean those big drops so smoothly.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #8

Farmington, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
What's interesting is when you transplant an average class 5 boater from the east/west and put them on the opposite coast. The creeking guys from the east coast feel out of control on the big water stuff out west, while the western boaters feel claustrophobic on the steep technical runs out east.
That could not be more true. I am primarily a big water boater, and although many creeks are slower than what I am used to not being able to properly dig my paddle throws me off. Problem with the run that guy swam on was it was more within his style of boating. But I have seen bad ass creekers come to Idaho, and shit show on bigwater, and I have done my fair share of shit showing in the South East.
Old 12-26-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Great points are raised in your write up and nice video to go along with it. Was the undercut u mentioned just below the video clip actually in the clip? Before reading that part of the write up (where the safety guy changed the fate of the guys getting tracker beamed), I was thinking how quickly that guy dropped down and helped the boater out. Quick moves.

It sounds like you decided to boat the RF although u weren't feeling totally comfortable with the crew that ended up together for that day. Did I misinterpret that? I'm not judging,
I'm just asking because I think it's an important point when talking about how well u (the collective "you") know your crew - and then whether you're willing to walk away if you don't know if they are up for it or aren't prepared ...and then if you're willing to accept the outcome if you decide to go anyway, or not.

I've never had to say i wouldn't boat something because the group's skills weren't up for, but I run relatively mellow stuff...I think that would be a tough, but important call. Anyone ever had that little voice that said, "walk away," but didn't and had the shit go down? Or was happy they did listen? Hmmmm...
Old 12-26-2012   #10

Farmington, Utah
Not sure if I am ever 100% comfortable on a run with undercuts. Good crew or not.