What do you all think? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2006   #1

What do you all think?

Working in a local Kayak shop I get several people a day wanting to rent Kayaks.

We won't rent unless you have taken a class or unless we know you due to wet exit issues and liability, even if you sign the waiver.
We will send you out in a Ducky and tell you to have a good time and come back for lessons.

Is it time for Kayaking to start issuing Cert. cards like if you take SCUBA or Skydiving lessons???????

rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006   #2

NO!
yakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #3

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ras, I think you just use the common sense screening method. There definately SHOULD be some screening. I was guiding a commercial raft trip a few weeks ago with some older less active lookingTexans who said they had thought about renting kayaks. They were talking amongst themselves and were like "whoa, I'm glad we didn't come down here with the kayaks like we had talked about". The section was snowmelt class III to III+. There would have been some unhappy swimmers if they went to the kayak shop and weren't pre-screened.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006   #4

Ok if you don't think this is a good idea please give a sound/valid reason as to why.

Just had 2 guys come in and I asked them if they could wet exit and they said "UH sure".
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #5

Vail, Colorado
Ras,
I say there should be some kind of screening process but cert cards are a little too extreme if you ask me. Just use your professional experience and common sence. That is what you were hired and payed for, correct? I use to commercial raft guide and people would always want to run the numbers at high water. I asked questions of experience and when it came down to it I asked them which rivers have they ran before and what sections have they ran and at what level. If this stumps them I know they are working the system. Obveously the people renting yaks aren't the best experienced, or they wouldn't be renting if they had their own (aside from Demos). Just ask them what section of what river they are running and ask them if they have scouted it. Use your judgement there after....... the waiver is a nice legal separation but not from rough feelings if something does happen. Good luck.

"You really think it's cool for you to hit the sauce with a bun in the oven?"
-Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #6

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
You are the gatekeeper!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #7

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I hate regulation in any form, so my gut tells me no. BUT there are things to consider. First is the law. If they read and signed a waver are you, the proprietor of a kayak shop, owner of the rental property and holder of the rental contract really released from culpability if they are injured/killed? I'm no legal mind to be sure but I've heard that much of the time wavers don't mean much to the court system in instances like this. It probably varies from state to state.

If you truly are not liable for their actions after they sign, pay and leave your shop then it becomes a "moral" (I hate that word) matter much like deciding whether or not to approach PFDless Jim-Bob on the k-mart mattress ready to head down the play park at high water and tell him not to. If they read and signed and are presumably now aware of the risks and difficulty of the sport then maybe they should be responsible for their own actions. They are no longer ignorant.

In short, if YOU are not legally responsible for their life and you tell them they might die and they don't listen then I say take their cash and let natural selection go back to work. It's been too long on vacation.

Cold blooded?
Old 06-30-2006   #8
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
cold blooded but truthful, man.....if natural selection is gonna take em, why not clean em out a little bit first?
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
How about a secret spy decoder ring to identify the worthy? Still waiting for mine, damnit.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #10

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You will recieve it when worthy.