What can I expect on the Numbers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2008   #1

What can I expect on the Numbers?

I am taking a trip out to Colorado around the last week in June through the 1st week in July. What can I expect the level to be and can anyone tell me what to expect on the Numbers. Yeah, I know its not the hardest stretch in the world, but its my real taste of continuous, steepish water.

kayakjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008   #2
ec

A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack View Post
I am taking a trip out to Colorado around the last week in June through the 1st week in July. What can I expect the level to be and can anyone tell me what to expect on the Numbers. Yeah, I know its not the hardest stretch in the world, but its my real taste of continuous, steepish water.
Nobody will be able to predict the flows, but expect solid class IV boating. If you want to turn it up a notch, drive a little further up the road, and run Pine Creek down into Number 1.
ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
In late June early July, the numbers will probably be big and continuous. Few holes be keepers, but some will pack a serious punch. The water will be very cold and will exhaust a swimmer quickly. You could try something easier like Fractions to get the character of the river, and if it goes well, head up to #s.

Both CRCII and WWSR have a great characterizations of the #'s character at different levels. My simple summary is:
<1000 - Rocks and holes, swims not so bad
1000 - 1500 - Holes and some large waves, swims still not so bad
1500 - 2000 - Holes and large irregular waves, swims bad
2000+ - Fast continuous class IV, swims more bad
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008   #4

So, what is it like, I'm from Texas so the only thing that comes close to that is Mexican Creek in terms of continuity. What is your experiance with the Numbers?
Old 05-20-2008   #5

At high water, Numbers is scary. Big, continuous, cold water. A few rapids require knowledge of the lines. It all depends on how good you are. Your roll should be bomber or real close.

At low water, it's not so bad. It's a good suggestion to try the other parts of the river first. Fractions is realy pretty with good rapids. Brown's Canyon is also good. It's easier to hook up with others on Brown's Canyon.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Hey Dan, what gage do you reference for the #s?

Number 1 is long and technical but has pools above and below. One and a half is short and has a big wave/hole at the bottom. Fast boogy to number 2. 2, 3, and 4 are pretty close and no real pools to speak of, although there are plenty of eddys. 2 and 3 are short and fairly easy. Four is the hardest and longest rapid on the #s imo. Big holes and big waves. When the river bends left, go far left for the easiest line, center for a bony but fun line, and stay away from the right, which is a diversion into a nasty rock pile thing. Fast class III for the next half mile or so to number 5, the steepest drop on the run. Far left is easy bony sneak, right side has tongue or boof. From 5 to the RR bridge there is a lot of fun class III boogy, a little flatwater, and 6 and 7 which aren't bad. Stay left at 6 as right is bony. More water means bigger waves, bigger holes, and faster runs. Great run. The Granite run is a great III-IV run when you walk the old dam and Pine Creek Rapid. Triple Drop/Three Sisters (putting in Pine Creek rapid just below the hole) is a solid IV-IV+ with huge waves and holes. A swim anywhere in Pine Creek/Triple Drop would probably be worse than a swim anywhere on the #s.

I agree that if you're concerned, defintely try Fractions first, which is just below #s. The first mile or two are fast class III of similar character to the #s boogy.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #7

Thanks for helpin me out. I have experience with bigger holes and waves, but the continuous thing is what would get me. I don't really swim that often and I have a bomber roll on both sides as well as a reliable hands roll. I don't think I'll be on Pine creek, thats a bit above my level. What are Salida and Buena Vista like at higher flows?
Old 05-20-2008   #8

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
The Numbers is arguably the most famous class IV in the state. Super fun, pretty, and you can make it as hard or easy as you want.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote