WFR vs EMT-B - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-06-2010   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
WFR vs EMT-B

Ok, I am looking for some help from my fellow buzzards...

I am currently enrolled in an EMT-B course through Colorado Mountain College set to begin next week. I know I need additional medical training with all the outdoor activities I do, but the real reason for the course is that I want to get into kayak instruction/ski patrol.

Unfortunately back in a previous life I was convicted of a felony drug possesion, and I am currently in the process of having it expunged. However, the EMT-B course requires a background check be done in the first 2 weeks of class, and it's looking like I might not have the expungement done in time.

My question is, what advantages does having an EMT-B certification have for working in the outdoor industry, or should I just withdrawl and put my refund towards WFR? If so, any recommendations on who I should take it through?

Thanks

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010   #2

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Ok, I am looking for some help from my fellow buzzards.
My question is, what advantages does having an EMT-B certification have for working in the outdoor industry, or should I just withdrawl and put my refund towards WFR?
Thanks
I would suggest the WFR. The EMT-B is a good course if you plan to get into the emergency services field. However, for the outdoors, many of the techniques need to be adjusted to account for the potential long delays until the patient reaches definitive care. In addition, the skills of an EMT tend to be use-it-or-lose-it techniques. If you aren't planning to function on a regular basis as an EMT, many of your skills will fall off quickly. The wilderness first responder seems more appropriate to your application.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Ski patrols don't recognize WFR. If you're really trying to patrol, get the EMT. I'd imagine that CMC would let you take the course regardless of your background. Being certified by the state of CO is another matter, but not until the end of the course. The EMT course is an actual serious medical course, if you're just running around in the woods with your buddies, go WFR - you'll get more out of it. If you need it for a job, definitely EMT.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
Ski patrols don't recognize WFR. If you're really trying to patrol, get the EMT. I'd imagine that CMC would let you take the course regardless of your background. Being certified by the state of CO is another matter, but not until the end of the course. The EMT course is an actual serious medical course, if you're just running around in the woods with your buddies, go WFR - you'll get more out of it. If you need it for a job, definitely EMT.
Joe
Cass, the head of ski patrol at Monarch said WFR is their minimum, but EMT training is looked at favorably.
CMC requires a background check be completed within 2 weeks of the course beginning - and I don't think my expungement will be completed by then, @ $900 with tuition and fees I am leaning toward getting my refund while I can and going WFR this year...

It seems like WFR would be more appropriate for ski patrol and kayak instructor, since you would have to deal with injuries in backcountry situations, as opposed to on an ambulance with all the appropriate equipment...
Old 01-06-2010   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
hey logan, i have had a wfr for 10 years now and quite satisfied with it. have guided rafts, snowmobiles and safety kayaked many places and it is exceptable and looked at favorable. i have heard that many resorts won't except wfr for ski patrol, monarch being the exception. don't know if that helps.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsasean View Post
hey logan, i have had a wfr for 10 years now and quite satisfied with it. have guided rafts, snowmobiles and safety kayaked many places and it is exceptable and looked at favorable. i have heard that many resorts won't except wfr for ski patrol, monarch being the exception. don't know if that helps.
It does, thanks! Who did you take yours through? I'm looking at NOLS/WMI, and a few others online, but would like some suggestions
Old 01-06-2010   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
originally took mine through cmc, not very good, since then i took one with wmi and definitely recommend going through them. i almost took the emt class that you are talking about but could not make room ini my schedule and several emt friends suggested against it if not going to be working on ambulance. kind of like jckeck said, use or lose.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #8

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
you need to check w/ emt national registry about your history. I'm pretty sure cmc won't care, its the national registry test you take at the end that you'll be concerned with. once you pass the national registry than you apply w/ the state you want to work in. I passed the national registry but never did anything mine. Just wanted it for the resume.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #9

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I'm an RN that worked in the outdoor industry for 20 years. Unless you are thinking of working pro ski patrol I can't think of a typical outdoor job that would require an EMT over a WFR. Employment aside, the WFR is much more appropriate for wilderbum types. The EMT course emphasizes using lots of equipment that you won't have (O2 and such). WMI does a great job and is highly recommended.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #10

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
EMT is a buttload of work,and you gotta recertify in 3yrs--flys by way to fast. Lots of hours in the classroom and Practicals,seemed like the whole semester was devoted to that class. Not just class time but spare time....so much reading and studying for those final tests. That National test is a doozy...

Worth it though. I came close to using my skillz once.
Never hurts.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote