wet/dry cycle foot help? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-30-2007   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
wet/dry cycle foot help?

so ive always been pretty lucky with how much i get in the water that I've never had a problem with the wet/dry cycle until now. i was pounding the pavement a handful of nights ago while walking from one part of town to the other and when i got there i discovered a large crack had opened up on my heel. its about a inch long and runs acorss the very back of my heel horizontally. ive had really small ones develop before that i just sit around for a day and is fine, but this one is large and hurts bad.

any advice on how to handle/treat such large cracks?

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Chap stick, mole skin and clean cotton socks are what I have used in the past.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I get that alot too when I paint using all sorts of crazy chemicals. I'd use some badger balm. it does wonders. then, use a cotton sock, and some sort of pads, or something
jeremy_warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007   #4

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_warner View Post
I get that alot too when I paint using all sorts of crazy chemicals. I'd use some badger balm. it does wonders. then, use a cotton sock, and some sort of pads, or something
The best thing you can do is at night is put some lotion or foot cream on, then sleep in socks. It'll take a few days, but it makes a huge difference.
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #5

Hi,

There was a fairly lengthy thread recently about this, over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages.

The consensus is, lube up ahead of time and stay lubed, whether it's Corn Huskers, Bag Balm, or whatever.

Now if you get fungus or bacterial involvement -- which folks relate as well -- it's a whole different ball game.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gpcba.org
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I just learned from a massage thearapist that the cracking process is actually part of the fungus infection, i.e.; atheletes foot. Go buy some over the counter fungicide like tinactin and use it. The cracking will go away and not come back! How bout them apples? I know I have had bad foot cracking for years. Even wore socks on the Grand Canyon for days because of it. See what you think.
Mk
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
well thanks for all the ideas. i threw some neosporin at it and have been wearing socks + shoes for the past couple of days and it seems to be healing well. ill try the tinactin thing next time for sure, although that does sound a little painful
Old 10-04-2007   #8

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I've hiked thousands of miles in sandals, and heel cracks used to be a serious problem.

If you're wearing shoes or boots (moist), the wee bugs gobble up the excess skin: no cracks. What causes the pain is when you wear sandals and are in and out of the water. The bugs get washed off and your skin dries out: crack!

This sounds weird, but I use a power sander and coarse paper (the vibrating placket kind, not a belt sander) to buzz off the dry hard skin. Then I grease up with Neutrogena Foot Cream. Before setting off on long trips, I work on my feet every day, 'til the cracks disappear.

So far, so good.

yrs, Chip
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Chip - you are far from crazy on this one. I have had several friends use a razor and shave off layers of dead skin to get rid of thick callouses that crack. Same effect as the sander - just a different technique.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
I've also used random chunks of sandstoneó whatever works.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote