Westwater record. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2011   #1

Westwater record.

Westwater is now showing 45,000. So will a new record be set this year?
The record is 54,000 in 1957. What major dams/diversions have come on line since 1957? Dillon, Blue Mesa, and what else? What's the highest flow post dam era?

I'm not going to ask the question "WW at 45,000?" I assume it's got to be a vision of god kind of experience.

cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #2

denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Probably not the kind of circumstances in which I'd want to become One with the Absolute.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I think the flows were higher than 54K in 83' or 84', but I would need to check data to be sure. 76K comes to mind, and I saw a graph of it once upon a time. At any rate, above 35K or so most of the rapids wash out, but don't take it lightly or let that fool you. There are huge boils, eddy lines and lateral surges coming out of nowhere and Skull still requires hard pull to the right to stay off that "Rock of Shock" wall at the bottom. The highest I've seen is 40K. There were big roller waves at Little D, not much else but roller waves, boils and laterals down to Skull (there is still sort of a depression/drop at Funnel and you can sort of recognize where you are, but the big breaking waves were gone), a big left side lateral at the top of Skull leading into a wave train of big laterals/surges coming from the right and leading down to the wall with about a 6-8 pillow coming off that. The boils and eddy lines are strong enough to grab and suck down a raft tube. We went from WW to Cisco in 3.5 hours. That's about all I can remember. Good question.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like fun. Any body have a big boat?
Old 06-08-2011   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
USGS Surface Water for USA: Peak Streamflow
Old 06-08-2011   #6

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Highest flow near the CO/UT state line is:

May 27, 1984 16.12ft 69,800cfs

per the link hojo provided.
Old 06-08-2011   #7

Got it on the record flow. I think I was looking at the record flow for yesterday.

In that case well sheeeit, this ain't nothin'
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #8
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yah, thanks for the info. Still think I saw a graph once that said 70K something but maybe another time another river . . . . still a damn lot of water through a narrow canyon!
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Well, I'm willing to bet that the Canyon was a touch higher since there are tributaries along the way which could have put 200 more cfs into the river. My guess is that someone simply rounded up.
Old 06-08-2011   #10

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckcoff View Post
I think the flows were higher than 54K in 83' or 84', but I would need to check data to be sure. 76K comes to mind, and I saw a graph of it once upon a time. At any rate, above 35K or so most of the rapids wash out, but don't take it lightly or let that fool you. There are huge boils, eddy lines and lateral surges coming out of nowhere and Skull still requires hard pull to the right to stay off that "Rock of Shock" wall at the bottom. The highest I've seen is 40K. There were big roller waves at Little D, not much else but roller waves, boils and laterals down to Skull (there is still sort of a depression/drop at Funnel and you can sort of recognize where you are, but the big breaking waves were gone), a big left side lateral at the top of Skull leading into a wave train of big laterals/surges coming from the right and leading down to the wall with about a 6-8 pillow coming off that. The boils and eddy lines are strong enough to grab and suck down a raft tube. We went from WW to Cisco in 3.5 hours. That's about all I can remember. Good question.
I believe that's LEFT at Skull? Just in case anyone reading this for Beta! LOL!
peernisse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lyons creek clinic