Westwater Lower Little D Camp? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2008   #1

Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
Westwater Lower Little D Camp?

Looking to camp at lower little Dolores in Westwater for its access to Little D wave and hiking.

Does anyone know the pull-in for this camp? Is it accessible at current levels (4-6k)?

pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008   #2

look out for upper little d

lower little D should be no problem to get into, leave it to the experienced rafters for the details but I do remeber you have to get up early to sign up with the ranger as it is usually the first requested.

From experience look out for the gegaws who end up with upper little D to make sure they don't "mistakenly" float past the upper sliver of a campground.

Surf it up, I am jeleous.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #3

You have to reserve it with the ranger first...then you have to jam in fast above the rapid river left to catch the camp spot....best to send in one "boat" first..then have everybody else see where they pull over before trying to just find it as you drift in.
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Definitely accessible....there will be a fairly good sized pool above the camp. ULD is the first little beach, LLD is juuust before the wave train. Should be pretty easy to get in there. Although, the past few times I've been there, the Tamarisk was RIDICULOUS....doubt that's changed.

Group size is important. They consider ULD and LLD as "large group" campsites....+18 peeps. Even if you check in first and there are larger groups on the list, they might bump you anyway, or check with the large group first. Anyone know if that's changed??? I know it was that way last year.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #5

Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
Pull in?

So that would be pulling left as the current quickens just downstream of upper little D camp?
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #6

yepper..start pulling left soon after the current picks up..kinda bone zone and bushy..but it's what ya gotta do..!
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #7

getting out is fun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbuster View Post
yepper..start pulling left soon after the current picks up..kinda bone zone and bushy..but it's what ya gotta do..!
Old 09-11-2008   #8

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
yup....bushy and bony fo' sho'.....but well worth it, such a cool site. There's a debris fan (of sorts) that creates a little area to pull your boats onto. At 4-6k it's pretty obvious, above 8k it starts to cover up a bit.

Ya know....at current flows, you can float through the top of the wave train and pull in. There's an island that forms river left below the "debris fan" (can't remember at what flow it REALLY becomes an island though). You should be able to make it left of that and pull in anywhere. Much better than hiking your stuff through the tamarisk.

If I'm not mistaken, at 4-6k, you can run the wave train pulling left and have better "beach" access.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Take the hike up Little Dolores to the waterfall. It's worth it. If you scramble up above the waterfall it's beautiful!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #10

rafts below little d

I think I have seen rafts come up from below "the island" in a little cove which makes an easier exit in the morning. Easy enough to take a look from the flat water above little d on river left since that is the direction you would go to take out above anyway.

there are arches in them there hills and I don't think you need sillysiben to see them

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
yup....bushy and bony fo' sho'.....but well worth it, such a cool site. There's a debris fan (of sorts) that creates a little area to pull your boats onto. At 4-6k it's pretty obvious, above 8k it starts to cover up a bit.

Ya know....at current flows, you can float through the top of the wave train and pull in. There's an island that forms river left below the "debris fan" (can't remember at what flow it REALLY becomes an island though). You should be able to make it left of that and pull in anywhere. Much better than hiking your stuff through the tamarisk.

If I'm not mistaken, at 4-6k, you can run the wave train pulling left and have better "beach" access.

Tags
lower little d, westwater