Westwater Deaths July 31 2011 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2011   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
Westwater Deaths July 31 2011

Heard through some of my commerical buddies that there were 2 deaths on westwater yesterday. Apparently 2 boats flipped in Skull with some handicap people on the boats. Anyone on the river yesterday?

I can't find anything in the local papers...

TUNACAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #2

salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Thats very sad. I was taking out at Westwater and saw the "said" boat launch (if true) and thought to myself that a couple people were in no condition to be on that run. I overheard the guides saying they were in therapy for some kind of muscle disorders. I haven't read any reports other than this.
hpp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #3

Sad. It can be a fine line between a terrific time on the river and disaster.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
last month our across the street neighbor's brother died in/after skull..........found several miles downstream.......big bruise on his head (no helmet) and lifejacket gone (but was wearing it)......raft flipped, probably hit head/knocked out before drowning?..........Great Guy! left a two year old daughter and grieving extended family.............BE CAREFULL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!! Chet
CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #5

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm not sure how one who is not on the trip or involved with the trip in any fashion has the right to say that someone is in no condition to be on that trip. I've been involved with many trips with guests who were paraplegic, or in some cases quadriplegic, on either technical or high volume rivers. They were veterans who were made aware of the risk and chose to accept that risk, and had an amazing experience on the river. I am not aware if these folks were veterans but they were still more than capable of acknowledging and accepting the risks associated with rafting on Westwater Canyon with their families. I hope that if I am bound to a wheelchair in my older years, that someone will give me the opportunity to enjoy the thrill and pleasure of white water rafting, even if it kills me. To those guides who had that experience, kudos to you, for providing that opportunity to the people who probably would not have had it otherwise, and handling it as professionally as you did at the ramp after the trip.
jr2hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #6

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2hike View Post
I'm not sure how one who is not on the trip or involved with the trip in any fashion has the right to say that someone is in no condition to be on that trip..

....... but they were still more than capable of acknowledging and accepting the risks associated with rafting on Westwater Canyon with their families.
How do you know if they were "more than capable of acknowledging and accepting the risks associated.." you are "one who is not on the trip or involved with the trip in any fashion"
smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2hike View Post
I'm not sure how one who is not on the trip or involved with the trip in any fashion has the right to say that someone is in no condition to be on that trip.
I believe what hpp10 said was he remembered thinking to himself that they shouldn't be on the run. He didn't say that about the people, he merely remembered thinking it, so cut him some slack.

Now I'll give you what you're fishing for: People unable to swim for themselves have no business running Westwater, under the care of you or anyone else. They can go to the ADA compliant library and watch videos of Skull, but have no place on a true whitewater trip, as instances like this are proof of. Clearly the intentions of professionals are not enough when the shit hits the fan. Swimming ability should be a prerequisite for the trip.

My condolences to the families of those who were lost. I hope they knew what they were getting in to.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Nothing in the news media here in Salt Lake City about it. The local newspapers usually cover any Westwater accidents or fatalities. Will keep watching.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #9
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
I'm in there all the time....friends were in there sun, didn't hear anything........ running today also, will let you all know what i hear?
If it did happen and it was commercial they might be good at keeping it quite till...........?
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #10

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
We were on Westwater yesterday, Aug 2, and the ranger didn't say anything about any recent accidents. BTW, it was a GREAT time.

Dan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote