Westwater Deaths July 31 2011 - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2011   #31

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I ran the day before this accident and can say Skull was kicking pretty good. The left lateral was pushy and it was really easy to get pushed into the main meat of the rapid. I found myself having to wait a little longer to make the cut. A highly experienced friend of mine was pushed into the maw from it and had a crazy ride in front of me. Most people forget the power of skull since it has a easy left ride if you time your cut correctly. The fact is that it is a powerful and chaotic display of water at any level that can drown ANY swimmer. I average 30 runs a year on that stretch and have my share of wild rides through that rapid. The water is always changing and sometimes a person just hits it when it decides to surge and pulse. Let us not forget that a fellow oarsmen must live with this tragedy the rest of his life. Everyone of us who takes a passenger down assumes the same risk. We are on a peice of air filled rubber, floating ontop of power beyond us, with foam flotation strapped to our bodies. Not a garuntee for survival in that power. The oarsmen is responsible for the moves and education, but it is the passengers who are resposible for going. Westwater is NEVER safe and we must take responsibility for what we choose to do...that is part of it. My sympathies to the victim and his family. My sympathies and support to the man behind the oars. This is not the first and this is not the last. One lesson here may be that people who choose to go at these levels should take a little extra time and drill in the water before they hit the rapids....Doing things for the FIRST time in the rapids is never a good idea. Another thought is to look into the "extreme spare air" option. Google that and take a look at this device. Breathing is just as important as floating.

WWJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011   #32

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Please know that my heart goes out to all involved in this tragedy. Loss of life is never easy and I feel for those who are effected by this. I hope my last post was not to cold sounding. My heart breaks everytime we loose someone to the river. May he rest in peace....
WWJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #33

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Please show respect for all parties involved by ceasing this conversation until we can respectfully and thoughtfully examine this incident. Creating controversy and and making uneducated assumptions about an unfortunate loss of life is a shameful act.

In addition, we should refrain from making assumptions about who can safely enjoy our rivers.

Keep in mind that this board is watched by a variety of outsiders/news reporters who will determine the public perception and future of our rivers. My thoughts and sympathies go out to all who were involved and affected by this tragedy.
NeilDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011   #34

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDMC View Post
Please show respect for all parties involved by ceasing this conversation until we can respectfully and thoughtfully examine this incident. Creating controversy and and making uneducated assumptions about an unfortunate loss of life is a shameful act.

In addition, we should refrain from making assumptions about who can safely enjoy our rivers.

Keep in mind that this board is watched by a variety of outsiders/news reporters who will determine the public perception and future of our rivers. My thoughts and sympathies go out to all who were involved and affected by this tragedy.
In order for the public to cease making assumptions, the incident details are going to have to come out. As with all accidents like this, someone who was involved with the trip or commerical company is going to have to make a public statement or privde the media with information. The reason for these statements is to educate the public so that something similar does not happen again. If in fact this incident really did occur, it is somehow being treated differently than any other fatal accident. The longer the parties remain silent, the more it seems they are trying to sweep it under the rug in order to protect their business reputation.

I write this post with the upmost respect to the deceaced, and condolences to their families. We all enjoy a risky sport and unfortunately it sometimes has tragic consequences.
ronlarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #35

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUNACAT View Post
...I'm not bagging on SPLORE at all, and the facts are not known, and may never be known, so I should quit speculating...
yes, you are, as are a lot of others. And yes, you should, as should everyone else. It's not really any of our business, why can't we let this go and let the families grieve in peace? I pray that none of you perfect boaters ever has something like this happen to you.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #36

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDMC View Post

Thanks Neil.

I've gotten word that there was a fatality on Westwater recently, however right now the BLM is not ready to make a public statement on the incident. Out of respect for the family and friends, please limit posts to this thread to witness accounts or otherwise reliable information. Please respect the fact that someone is dead and others' lives are shattered right now.

I've deleted some posts on this thread that weren't on topic, if you've got an issue with this, please send me a PM.

My condolences to all affected by this tragedy.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #37

Anywhere, Colorado
As a family member of the deceased, I am ok with everyones opinion. I don't think anyone should be "filtered". I am not sure why splore or the blm haven't made any official statement, they need to. All of the immediate family have been notified. There needs to be awareness and questions answered.
Silasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #38

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Deepest condolences

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased, as well as the guide and anyone else. Death is never easy & I am thinking of their loved ones.
ttr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #39

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasfan View Post
As a family member of the deceased, I am ok with everyones opinion. I don't think anyone should be "filtered". I am not sure why splore or the blm haven't made any official statement, they need to. All of the immediate family have been notified. There needs to be awareness and questions answered.
Regardless of the facts, statements or whatever, I am sorry for your loss.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #40

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Silas

I am very sorry for your families loss.

The BLM is not a proper party to police who enters that canyon. They only make sure the people have the right gear.

I understand your anger. I hope you all find peace with this.

We as a community all say stuff like I'm glad they died happy, or doing something they loved. But, having experienced what you are going through, I did not find peace in that. I just have a sense of loss at the person I cared about being gone forever.

I wish I could ease your pain. Clearly you cared deeply for the one who is gone. The depth of your emotion shows what an amazing person they were.