Western Canyon apddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-12-2009   #1

Western Canyon apddle

New to the forums but not to WW. Wife and I have paddled the lower New River a bunch of times and the Gauley once.
We are heading to Utah first week of September with some non-paddling friends and they want to do the Western Canyon raft trip.

We were wondering if anyone had feedback on Western in comparison to the lower New River?

Thanks!

ps: I just realized Im dyslexic and misspelled paddle.

markymark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009   #2
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
You mean Westwater?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3

Yes..sorry about that. Westwater Canyon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Hey well its class IV not any harder than the New I would say. Make sure you get a permit. Have fun!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Hey well its class IV not any harder than the New I would say. Make sure you get a permit. Have fun!
Hi,

Westwater is mostly read and run at typical September levels. If you can do the New and Gauley, you shouldn't have any real trouble. Ask the rangers at the ramp (who check your gear and permit) to tell you about Skull.

Also, you may want to research the Westwater permit system a little in advance, to understand how it works. September is a pretty busy time there, and you'll have to have your cards in the game early if you want to get a particular launch date.

It's a great little canyon. Enjoy.

Rich Phillips
gulchradio.com
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here's some info about the permit application process:

Colorado (Westwater)
APPLY: Up to 2 months prior to your trip
URL: How to Obtain a Private Westwater Permit
PERMIT: Call (435) 259-7012

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2009   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Westwater, class III(IV-), is significantly easier than the Lower New, class IV (IV+). Westwater only has one class IVish rapid, Skull. The lower New debateably has 5 IV's and one IV+, Double Z - actually if you ask the outfitters it is class V brah!

The Lower New often has more volume - annual high flows of 60,000 to 70,000+ cfs are fairly common, and unlike Westy it doesn't flush out completely - it gets huge holes, like when Whale Rock starts going under. Westy in Sept is likely around 3,000-4,000 cfs, which is actually quite comparable flow wise to the New that same time of year. The big difference is that Westy isn't nearly as rain driven and won't bump up to 40,000 in a couple of days if a big rain event hits. You can still flip and swim on Westy, but if you are comfortable on the Lower New then Westy should be well within your range. Remember to pack lot's of ice cold beer - early September can be hot.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #8

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great info. I have to admit, I have gotten spoiled by the New and have been disappointed with a few other trips. But my friends are hell bent on going..so I guess Im going to go.
I'll see if I cant dig up some pics from our trips on the New. ..
Old 01-14-2009   #9

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great info. I have to admit, I have gotten spoiled by the New and have been disappointed with a few other trips. But my friends are hell bent on going..so I guess Im going to go.
I'll see if I cant dig up some pics from our trips on the New. ..
the whitewater might not be as good but the trip is fantastic, especially if you have never been on a desert river. Don't pass up on the trip because its only class III.

and if you get bored by the whitewater punch the meat at skull, it'll get your heart pumping.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote