West Water trip Sunday - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2007   #1
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
West Water trip Sunday

hey all,

neighbor just came by and let me know he has a 12 person permit for Sunday 8/5 that he can not use. I do not know the semantics of the permit system, but it is an available trip if you can get listed as an alternate or what ever.

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
He might be hosed on giving it up to someone else- An alternative would have to be designated by noon today by giving Carol a call.

Even so, the permit can't be reassigned to anyone onsite without him being there. In fact I don't think it could even launch without his being on the trip. He might even get blackballed for not cancelling the trip.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Unless the Trip Leader or Alternate Trip Leader are going, the trip will not go. The only way he could've given the permit away is if he could've cancelled the permit this morning and someone else could have picked it up before the river office closed at noon. Or he could've found someone else to take the permit and made them his Alt. TL, in which case he wouldn'g have to defer his fee to another date or lose it (if the new TL paid him back). The river office is closed for the weekend so nothing's going on with this permit.

Too bad he couldn't have turned it in this sooner. It'll be a no-show for him, I'm not sure if there's a penalty for that or not.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2007   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
BLM site:

Quote:
1. The permit is not transferable without prior approval of the issuing office and must be in the possession of the permittee on the trip. The permittee must provide photo ID at permit inspection.

Changing/Canceling a Reservation The trip leader or alternate trip leader can make two changes to a permit, including:
  • Change of trip leader
  • Increase of group size (if space is available)
  • Change of launch date (if another launch is available within the two-month time frame)
Changes must be made at least 24 hours prior to your launch date during River Office hours. Please notify the River Office if you are unable to use your launch date.
  • This will reduce the amount of unused Westwater launches
  • If you haven't already made two changes to a paid permit, you can request a launch date change (and payment transfer) at the time of cancellation
  • If canceling a paid trip more than 30 days in advance, you can request at time of cancellation that a credit be transferred for payment of an already obtained Desolation Canyon or San Juan River launch
NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED!

Smooth Operation Our permit issuance process incorporates the following elements to ensure smooth operation:
  • Calls must be received during River Office hours: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Monday-Friday (excluding Federal holidays)
  • Please designate one person per group to call in for your chosen launch
  • No walk-in reservations before 9:00 a.m.
  • An online calendar is available showing open launch dates (updated at least once daily)
  • You must speak to someone at the River Office to obtain a reservation and/or make changes to an existing reservation (please, no phone messages)
Not sure about any penalties for not calling and canceling. I seem to remember something on the permits they mail to you.....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #5

RFV, CO
As I said /// I'm just the messenger. He was having problems logging into the buzz today. That's why he came by and asked if I'd post it. To bad a trip gets wasted.
Old 08-03-2007   #6

RFV, CO
Hey again. Talked to mike. He has the number of a person at the permit office. He has until 5pm TODAY to get this done. That gives you 15 minutes to decide yes and give him a call. Thats what I know and I'm just trying to help out here. Hope somebody good picks this up.
Old 08-03-2007   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That would be a good # to know. What other office is available after noon to do permit stuff?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #8

RFV, CO
mike must have found a real nice guy at the permit office bc the guy gave him his cell number. Permit canceled as of 5:15pm. The office was doing hima huge favor.

if any westy rangers and BLM moab office people are reading this ... thanks for being accommodating to people.