West Water snow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-04-2010   #1

West Water snow?

Hi. Can anyone from GJ or Fruita fill us in on how much snow is on the ground near the West Water put in as of this week? We are scheduled to launch Saturday and trying to best plan what type of camping conditions to expect.

Any ice on the river this week through the West Water Canyon?

Thanks for your help.

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
see this yahoo group thread... Gonna putin on the 13th. With the warm weather the last few days, thinking most will be gone within the next week or so...
Yahoo! Groups
markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I know it has been warm out there, but according to this thread, as of 1 week ago, it was plowed out but with 18-20" on the ground:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tus-29010.html

JK44 was even kind enough to post a few pics of the ranger station
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010   #4

Eagle, Colorado
I don't know about the put in, but we drove through Utah two days ago and and at the Westwater exit there was about 6 -10 inches on the ground.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #5
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Been a cold winter Here! Just starting to warm up, some snow on the ground in desert, north facing for sure!
Not sure abt ice in canyon? but would think main channles are open?!
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #6

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Dress warm and for wet weather if camping. I am at the station now looking at maps. We are due for 4-7 inches by tommorow afternoon. That same system appears to be shifting into the westwater area by about 6pm tonight. Snow levels at 3,000 feet in the great basin and west (currently). Just what I have read this morning.

h
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #7

Thanks for all your input, I just got off the phone with the ranger, sounds like up to 2 feet of snow all along the river. Boat ramp, parking area, and camping zones at the put in have been plowed. So you can get to the river, but expext to camp in snow pack conditions. River channels are clear, but ice on the edges.
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #8

Hi,

I'm at the WW ranger station right now, through the miracle of Verizon Mobile Broadband.

The campground is snow-covered, as is the check-in area and about half of the parking areas. Think in terms of a foot of crusty snow that you post-hole into as the day warms up. Melting has continued with temps in the 40's; there is rain and possible snow predicted for tonight.

The camps downriver are all reported to be ice and snow covered. Getting into some of the camps may be difficult due to ice shelves or other ice buildup.

The top of the ramps and the ramps themselves at the put-in have been plowed, but they are very wet and muddy. I'm inclined to think only four-wheel drive vehicles should try to back trailers down, if you want to try at all.

I was at Cisco yesterday. The road in there was passable, but the parking lot there, the top of the ramp, and the ramp itself have not been plowed. When I walked down the ramp to the river itself, I was postholing into 12-18" of crusty snow.

There will be potable water available at the ranger station over the weekend.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for including the info about Verizon internet working there! I switched over to it and am happier every day that I ditched Comcast internet.

Thanks for the WW update too Hope it melts over the next three weeks for when we arrive.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #10

TOUCHDOWN, Mississippi
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Thanks for including the info about Verizon internet working there! I switched over to it and am happier every day that I ditched Comcast internet.

Thanks for the WW update too Hope it melts over the next three weeks for when we arrive.
True. Story.

hey - look at it this way... it won't be difficult to keep beer cold!
OleMissBoater is offline   Reply With Quote