Jeroen

Playak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005   #2

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey J,
Thanks for posting the link-- I'm in the market for an upgrade, and this was one of the paddles on my list for consideration.... one quick correction on the article/ review posted on the playak.com website, though: your reviewer writes,

Quote:
I don't know why there are no glass bent shafts from Werner. Maybe such shafts would be too heavy in order to be strong enough?
I'm currently paddling a bent shaft Werner Sherpa with fiberglass construction?? It is a little heavy, but otherwise, I like it... I really, really like it, actually. My skillls have come up a bit, though, and I'm needing something with a bit more bite to the blade as I've started running more technical stuff (that's the only reason I'm even considering jettisoning the Sherpa). I'm just afraid I'd wear myself out/ keep knocking myself over with those oversized blades!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #3

I started paddling a large bladed paddle last season (first a Bending Branches, now a Woody) and love the large blades. They provide a great amount of power for paddling and make flatwater tricks much easier. I noticed I was a little more tired after the first couple days but quickly got used to additional power. I don't know you get off on but, as long as you're not doing anything too strange, you shouldn't be knocking yourself out with the blades of your paddle (unless you're a member of COPBR, Cult for Oral Paddle Blade Rituals). I love my Woody and would highly recommend it (Best Paddle Ever Made), although the Sho-Gun does look pretty nice.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005   #4

Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
COPBR, huh? Not even gonna ask..... Though I do have a c-1'er friend who knocked a tooth out with the end of his paddle once, if that counts?

No, I'm just saying, going "up" to something with that much catch (at first, at least), I'd be afraid of tossing myself over/ upside down/ flipping/ generally making an ass out of myself (yes, even moreso than usual... LOL)
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005   #5

I didn't have any such problems making that step to a bigger blade. In addition, you will find it makes rolling and bracing much easier. I would highly recommend it.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005   #6
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
nothing personal, but...

yo newb you don't need bigger blades to run harder rivers. lots of people run the shit with old werner quests (blue shaft, white blades) and other worn-down, beat-to-shit paddles. bigger blade = more torque on shoulders. try handpaddling a few rivers and learn to use the current to get where you need to be, then you'll be amazed with the power of your current paddle.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote