Were should beginner start - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2005   #1

Were should beginner start

If your to poor to afford lessons you have to learn somehow. What would be a good progression of things. At what point is it a must to have a role. At what point must you have a bombproof roll that sort of thing.

GlassGuy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005   #2

The best place to learn is on flatwater first. Do you have a boat, paddle, etc? Then I would progess to a class II rapid. Things to learn:
Wet exit (most important!)
Front Stroke
Sweep Stroke
Bracing
Peal out

If you can, a roll. I know people that have done class III rapids w/o a roll. You can do it but you'll be swimming a lot. If you have the equipment or you can afford to rent check us out Colorado Kayakers - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coloradokayakers/. We have a beginner session this weekend. Don't be shy. Intoduce your self and say your interested in rolling. Scott is a nice guy and will help you out (Rasdoggie). As always it's totally free. If you can find the cash I recomend a lesson.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmckenzie26
Things to learn:
Wet exit (most important!)
Front Stroke
Sweep Stroke
Bracing
Peal out
I would also add catching eddies and ferrying from one side of the river to the other.

There are many schools of thought about the roll. some say it's absolutely necessary before you even get on a river. I am not of that school of thought. Learning how to read rivers, catch eddies, ferry, and brace are way more important in my opinion. I just got my combat roll after 7 years of trying (not bombproof yet though!), but I've been comfortable on easier class 3s for 3 seasons now. River skills are way more important- knowing how to tell where you want to be on the river and getting there... and staying upright so you don't have to roll in the first place!!!

Definitely join our group (that chad mentioned), we're all really friendly and there's people on the list who are just beginning all the way up to people who are comfortable on class 3+ rivers. Plus a few better boaters who periodically offer free lessons to us too! Be prepared though, there are almost 200 people on the list and a lot of e-mail traffic!!!

See ya on the river!
Lauren
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005   #4

the fort, Colorado
r u kidding, ive been kayaking a year and a half and i can combat roll

and im only 16!

i recomend going to pool sessions where there are other people and most of them will be nice and help u if ur struggling with a roll, then when u can roll most of the time u can go on the river
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #5

Boulder, Colorado
I was a slow learner

but heck, now i'm ready to rip it up!
Old 07-18-2005   #6

I was talking about Lauren when I said class three boaters w/o a roll. No disrespect for moderator. It sounds like she got it, though. Yea, you can do pretty much what you want w/o a roll. Ferrying is the one skill I forgot, You will have to learn that on the river. Come join us this weekend. I wish I could go but I'm fishing with my Pops.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #7

Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coloradokayakers/

Like was said we meet for roll clinics regulary and on beginner level rivers too.
New boaters are always welcome that is what we are there for.

The cost of the pool roll class is not that much, 30$ with Confluence Kayaks if you have your own boat and paddle I work there so I have to plug them. http://www.confluencekayaks.com/instruct.php
It will teach you the basics so you can go practice with the COyakers.
The other shops have a similar class I'm sure.

The most important skill you can learn and practice is to self-rescue, That means keeping your paddle when you wet exit and trying to hang on to your boat till you get to shore if you can but don't let go of your paddle us less it means your going to get hurt.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #8

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would advise against hitting the river until you can roll pretty handily in flat water...like a pool or pond. That way you at least have a chance when you flip..and you will. Swimming repeatedly is not a good time and even on a class III can get you some unpleasant bumps. It's cold, too, and saps your energy faster than anything. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2005   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Bastardson is from the other school of thought everyone has opinions about the necessity of rolling... but of course if I had stuck just to the pool until I got the roll I likely would have given up on kayaking altogether!!! As it was from 1998-2002 I took probably 10 or 12 pool sessions, all without getting the roll. I gave up and went on the river. yeah, swimming isn't fun, but if you stick to runs you're comfortable with you'll be ok without a roll. I'm living proof!
Old 07-18-2005   #10

I do have boat, Helmet etc.. and I've spent time on flat water.
I've been trying to teach myself to role (ie videos, books) on little lakes in area. The only two things that I do have down is I'm pretty used to being upside down and wet exiting.
I live about 5 min from ark. so it's hard not to just hit the river. I just tend to have more Guts than sense. Girlfriend was a guide for one of the rafting companies in town for a few years. I think all of her "the Guy had no buisness being on the river stories" got me thinking.
GlassGuy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote