We play a dangerous game - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
We play a dangerous game

Buy life insurance. Every year you see this topic from me. I know it is preachy, but since I saw a close friend pass and leave his wife and two girls without, I swore I would bring this up with my friends every year.

If your single, go play. If you have others you are responsible for, make sure they are taken care of, and go play.

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
Even more likely to be of use is health insurance. Nobody should paddle without health insurance. I broke my neck in class III (ocean playboating). It was at LEAST $250,000 worth of hospital and surgery.

You can't afford not to have health insurance. If you think you can't afford it then it is time to cancel cable, stop eating out, get rid of your cell phone, and sell your car and start riding the bus.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Buy it even if you're single- give your friends a hell of a going away party.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
The cool thing about life insurance, all whitewater spots are covered, no matter how extreme! I made sure of that before I signed my life away. Mountaineering, canyoneering, climbing, etc isn't covered though, basically anything to do with the ropes and vertical.

Canada, it's a great advice man. I go on rivers with a lighter heart now, knowing my family will be taken care of if I decide to drink too much river water.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm a proponent of long term disability insurance. Don't have the stats on hand, but more likely to become disabled and unable to provide than die. Just another thing to think about.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
The cool thing about life insurance, all whitewater spots are covered, no matter how extreme!
Yes Indeed. We have Government Blue Cross = Just like the congressmen so it is about the best coverage available but they will not cover injuries from a lot of "high risk" activities (sky diving, bungy, etc.) but rafting and kayaking are covered. I made sure to check it out too. I wonder if they are covered by the public option...
Old 05-21-2010   #7

Jacksonville, Florida
I definitely agree with this post. You have to have life insurance.

A lot of employers offer basic life insurance as part of your health plans. I know it seems like they are already taking a lot out of your checks, but for like an extra $2 per paycheck you can add $50,000 in life insurance coverage. It's crazy cheap -- assuming your young and relatively healthy. Check with your HR Department.

Adayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
I'm a proponent of long term disability insurance. Don't have the stats on hand, but more likely to become disabled and unable to provide than die. Just another thing to think about.
Some companies offer AFLAC insurance, which isn't a bad way to go either. I have a Cancer policy with a Return of Premium rider. If one of us gets cancer, there's a payout for every treatment, office visit, etc. If we go 20 years and never use it, the entire premium is returned. Granted they earn interest on that money & I don't, but I consider it money in the mattress, as well as lucky if we never have to use it.

Of course this isn't so much applicable to kayakers, but I think a lot of folks aren't aware that most medical bankruptcies are people that have insurance. Even with great insurance, a long term illness can crush your family's finances.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
Also look into buying your own term life insurance outside of your company benefit. As soon as your company goes under or you get laid off then you don't have life insurance anymore unless you planned ahead and got your own.

The earlier you buy term life insurance, the cheaper it is. "term life" just means that if you live to 75 or whatever then the policy expires... it only pays out if you die young. It is dirt cheap if you start it young.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #10

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
There are a couple of points I'd like to make with respect to the above insurance coverage comments.

First, Long Term Disability coverage does not protect you from an injury immediately, it usually won't pay anything (typically 60% of your monthly pre-disability earnings) until 26 weeks after you have sustained an eligible disability. To bridge that gap, a Short-term Disability policy will pay you a weekly benefit (typically 60% of your weekly pre-disability earnings) after the waiting period has been met (usually on the 8th day after an injury/accident). So, if your employer offers it, TAKE IT! It's usually not too expensive and you'll be glad you did in the event of catastrophe.

As far as life insurance is concerned, term life doesn't build any cash value, so if you are able, buy universal or whole life insurance which does. If you end up with Term Life, that's not bad either and most policies also come with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) which doubles the face value of the policy in the event of death by accident (perish the thought). If you purchase supplemental life through your employer (not the basic which the employer pays for), in the event of termination, you will have an option to convert the policy to an individual one which is usually less costly than getting one on your own.

Great points, folks - we start each season filled with dreams and hopes of action-packed adventures, but there are definitely consequences out there to remember as well.

Be safe out there
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote