wavesport XXX outfitting question - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-26-2015   #1

Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 2013
wavesport XXX outfitting question

Just bought a badass 2001 wavesport xxx. The plastic area where it hits your shins is extremely uncomfortable. The knee pads all the way to the center pillar is one big piece...but it hits my shins and basically entraps my feet into there, making a swim i would think nearly impossible. Any ideas? Is the best option to just remove it entirely and make my own thigh braces out of foam?

OhNoItsKamryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Good luck. I would say gut it and customize. The XXX was my first boat, it was terribly uncomfortable and a very poor choice to learn in...hope you got that thing cheap. When I sold mine I think CKS gave me $75.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsKamryn View Post
Just bought a badass 2001 wavesport xxx. The plastic area where it hits your shins is extremely uncomfortable. The knee pads all the way to the center pillar is one big piece...but it hits my shins and basically entraps my feet into there, making a swim i would think nearly impossible. Any ideas? Is the best option to just remove it entirely and make my own thigh braces out of foam?
Bought? Most of them I see are used as flower planters. That is an unforgiving boat to learn in. Boat technology is similar to ski technology: both have evolved a long way in the last 15 years.

Dont mess with the bulkhead, but the rest you can tinker with. Foam can definitely be used to customize it.
bgoogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2015   #4

Knoxville, Tennessee
Ya I bought it

Ya I bought it cheap. From a poor unsuspecting girl who bought it to learn in. The boat has only been paddled 5-6x by her friend on a lake since its birthdate. Literally barely has a scratch on it and outfitting is perfect. It's a unicorn. My concern is just the knee pads part and building them out of foam. I have multiple other buts but this thing is a gem!
Old 08-27-2015   #5

I love my xxx! Fast, slicy, super fun boat. But I don't understand this knee pad issue. I don't have knee pads in mine I'd just move the seat back a bit so your shins aren't as crammed and glue some thin foam against the shell. I get that sheet of blue foam used as sleeping pads at walmart for $15 and that will be enough to last a lifetime.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #6

Knoxville, Tennessee
See if this link works

Here's a link to a picture of the setup I took out. As you can see, when my feet are inside the bow and with the center pillar, that black piece hitting my shins creates sort of a foot entrapment. I can't get into the boat without sitting on the back deck, locking my legs and sliding in. It's damn near impossible to get out of because your feet get stuck. Im not worried about swimming really, as I paddle pretty conservative rivers with this thing (everything else I have a nomad) but in the event, I don't want to drown haha. Somebody has mentioned just to take this whole section out and create it out of foam. Just thinking of option to make entry/exit easier and keep it to where the black plastic touching my shins doesn't entrap my feet.

https://picasaweb.google.com/111471964772043233517/August242015
Old 08-27-2015   #7

Paddling Since: 1993
First, wavesport made the XXX during the time the company was sold to confluence. The first round were made out of cross link plastic in Steamboat and were generally bigger than the second group made from superlinear HDPE. Second wavesport made two sets of thighbraces, small/medium and medium/large. These two things could be effecting your fit.
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #8

Knoxville, Tennessee
Mrekid - exactly what

This was exactly the comment i was looking for. That makes so much sense why its so tight for that section. I really don't want to buy a shit ton of foam and do all that with the outfitting. Is there any place i could find the large set? Mine is definitely linear because its 2001
Old 08-27-2015   #9

I don't have anything like that in my xxx! I'd get rid of that thing and figure out something with foam or get thigh braces from any other WS boat and see if that would work.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Maybe something else

Hey,

I think I can see your problem from the pics.

the front of the thighbrace assembly looks like it is bent at a 90 deg angle.
It looks like it was re-installed incorrectly after removal of the thighbrace.

The part that is impacting your shins should be tucked up above the center pillar, not sticking down into the cockpit. The long plastic tabs fit on either side of the pillar wall and point down

Remove the front pillar, and install the thighbrace first, then reinstall the pillar. pushing that part against the underside of the deck.

hope that helps

juan
Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote