Wavesport Ethos 9/10 rental for Grand Canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-29-2013   #1

Washington, Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2007
Wavesport Ethos 9/10 rental for Grand Canyon?

We're "not from around here" and are headed to the Grand Canyon on a kayak self support this fall and are looking for rental kayaks. I spoke w/Moenkopi awhile back about the Liquid Logic boats they rent, but we really like the Ethos after demoing them.

The cost of buying the boat + shipping both ways is prohibitive.

We might also be interested in selling the boats (one 9'er and one 10'er) after the trip to recoup some cost, but would prefer to just rent.

Anyone know of outfitters w/these boats in the GC region, private owners interested in making some $$, or potential buyers possibly interested in buying them after our trip? Thanks!

Dersu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013   #2
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
well its not right next door, but one state over....kokopelli rafting co. just started started selling/renting kayaks, (first kayak shop in like 15 years in Santa Fe... and specifically they have at least one ethos for demo/sale.
here's their CL ad i came across recently, which is whay i thought of them right away. that's your boat there
Used Demo Wave Sport Ethos Kayak
New Mexico Rafting Trips, Santa Fe Rafting with Kokopelli Rafting Adventures

The owner's name is John, and he is sympathetic to the yakking cause. idk if that would help, but thats all i could think of of the bat.

Also contact CKS in Buena Vista, Colorado Colorado Kayak Supply - Kayaks, Accessories, Gear, SUP, Standup Paddle, or 4 corners in Durango. they are both year round regional boating shops that have rental/demo fleets.
good luck.... i would love to SS the grand someday too....!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We have both sizes of the Ethos available for rent. Give us a shout at 1-800-426-7637
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013   #4

Thanks for the info; anyone other suggestions? I should have mentioned we were flying into to Flagstaff or if necessary to get gear; Phoenix. If for some reason I did fly into Durango (which I would LOVE to visit since I attended Fort Lewis College there!) or Albuquerque the cost of car rental, gas, time involved + boat rental is comparable to buying at home shipping two way, and selling the boat at home. So, am looking to get the total cost of a boat down.
Old 07-30-2013   #5
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
ummm...ROADTRIP!!!!!!

(at least one way) ..or rent the remix xp10.... i have heard very good things about them.they set the standard for self support boats. Liquidlogic has a website of tutorials based on the XP10..
Self Support Kayak Camping

I am not an expert in arizona so i guess i have not much else useful to contribute.

except....roadtrip...you know you want to...!!!!!
Old 07-30-2013   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abron View Post
ummm...ROADTRIP!!!!!!

(at least one way) ..or rent the remix xp10.... i have heard very good things about them.they set the standard for self support boats. Liquidlogic has a website of tutorials based on the XP10..
Self Support Kayak Camping

I am not an expert in arizona so i guess i have not much else useful to contribute.

except....roadtrip...you know you want to...!!!!!
Oh, I wish I could get away that long, but one of the reasons for a shorter self support trip is that free time is limited. I just really liked paddling the Ethos; nothing against the LL XP10. It's a good boat, but I am pretty thin and light and I fit the Ethos 10 a lot better then the XP10. I'm way under the weight range of the XP10 and it so wide that I would need to outfit a crapton to fit. Rental is not so conducive to that and the Wavesport damn near fits factory.

I have read and seen tons of coverage on the LL crew and their canyon trips. It's been instrumental in getting me up to speed on what to expect on the canyon self support. They deserve a lot of credit for getting people excited about this kind of trip.
Old 07-30-2013   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
.... umm so XP9, right? XP10 is the bigger size. thats the one i would want. So, since i apparently like to procrastinate vs. accomplishing tings i should actually be doing.... i googled kayak outfitters phoenix and found a bunch of touron sit on top rentals. no luck.even called salt river somebody or other, they didnt have a clue. all your GC outfitters seem to be the best bet in state.
in other words, prolly the same thing you no doubt have already done exhaustively. :/
good luck!
oh and btw, just to stir the pot, my first choice might actually be a JK Rogue, cause my bias is to Jackson Kayaks in general......not that that helps you at all.
Old 07-30-2013   #8

Student
rentals

Won't be long before the AZ companies that rent rafts, gear, shuttles, etc for the Grand will also rent the self support kayaks mentioned in the posts above. It is a no brain'er in my opinion.
Can't beat the XP for self support.
Curious what Daggers new boat will offer up...
Good luck. Beers, Atom...
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #9

Quote:
.... umm so XP9, right? XP10 is the bigger size. thats the one i would want.
Actually looking for BOTH the Ethos 9 AND 10. Or as it seems to be turning out we'll be in the XP9 and XP10. The smaller for my very small paddling partner and myself in the 10. I'm still on the small size for an XP10. We've found the Ethos 9 to be slightly bigger than the XP9 and the XP10 to be bigger then the Ethos 10.
Quote:
oh and btw, just to stir the pot, my first choice might actually be a JK Rogue, cause my bias is to Jackson Kayaks in general......not that that helps you at all.
Yeah. Different boats for different folks. I haven't paddled the Jackson, but haven't heard anything good about it either. Looked awfully small in person. One of the qualities I really liked is the real estate behind the seat in the Ethos 9/10. Able to keep more of the weight really close to the middle that way. Thanks for the help! Hope you get on a GCSS soon.
Old 07-30-2013   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Won't be long before the AZ companies that rent rafts, gear, shuttles, etc for the Grand will also rent the self support kayaks mentioned in the posts above. It is a no brain'er in my opinion.
Hopefully! I know of three GCSS trips in the next 6 months. I've even read that some are lobbying for relaxing the rule on double canyon trips if one is a winter selfie. From my calls to the area it seems that there are at minimum 8 XP's in the area between Moenkopi and REO; possibly only a single XP9. Maybe someone will buy my ethos 9 and 10 if I buy and ship 'em out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Curious what Daggers new boat will offer up...
Good luck. Beers, Atom...
I'm excited about the new Dagger Katana and am expecting some hype from the Outdoor Retailer Summer show this week. They're in production I think, but doubtful it'll make it on my trip to the canyon. I've put a cal into my local shop to see if they have any on order.