Wave Destroyer - The Right Cat for me? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-17-2012   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Wave Destroyer - The Right Cat for me?

Hey All,

So here's the low down. I've already got an AIRE 156R raft to haul the ten 30 packs of beer, passengers, and gear, on my trips and am now considering adding a cat to my line up of boats.

My dad is also a beginner rower that I am teaching so he can row everything we run. I'm thinking a 14' Wave Destroyer might be the perfect cat for my needs. Basically, we do a lot of multiday (Cataract, Deso, MFS, Main Salmon, Westwater, etc etc) stuff and I am looking for a cat that I can use for harder rivers as well.

I'm thinking I may occasionally have a passenger and/or light gear on the Cat, hence the 14', but I would also like something that I can get on the class V stuff when I'm rowing solo/gearless.

Any opinions? I know cats tend to row like shit if they're overloaded, but again, I don't expect to load it down, maybe just a passenger or light gear.

Also, if anyone knows of any good used deals, let me know, this habit is getting expensive!

Josh

Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've been rowing 14 ft. Cats for over ten years. A great size boat in my experience. I run all the same multi-day trips you mentioned. I started with a 14 X 19 Jacks Plastic Flyer Cat, then went to a 14 X 22 Maravia Cat, now have a 14 X 24 Maravia Cat. If you think you will carry a passenger and a light gear load on multi-day trips I would go with a 14 X 24 boat. If you think you want more of a day/play boat go with a 14 X 22. I love my Maravia Cat. They added a bit more rocker to their Cat design a few years ago, and the boat seems a little more lively to me than my old one, and punches holes better. Anything by Aire is also top quality, and folks seem to like Sotar also. Lots of good stuff out there. I would watch the NRS & Mountain Buzz gear swaps for good deals.
I rarely ever carry a passenger, but I do carry a medium gear load of personal gear & some group gear. I run a 66 inch NRS frame. My boat could easily take a wider frame, but I like a narrower frame (keeps me from getting carried away with my gear load). I'll attach some pics of my rig.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Kj those pics are from rogue, right? Concrete pillar looks familiar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012   #4

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Kj those pics are from rogue, right? Concrete pillar looks familiar

Kind of looked liked graves creek bridge except the the stream comes out just ahead of the pillars.

Yep I see the stream its graves creek bridge

I see a purple rogue permit !
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #5

Sandy, Utah
Yes.....you boys are correct. My first Rogue trip last July. And yes, just approaching Graves Creek. We put-in at Almeda....a nice campground & put-in.
For bonus Buzzard Points....can you name the river in the second picture? I'll add a picture to give you a hint. You get double bonus Buzzard Points if you can name the camp?????
To the OP, I think a 14 ft. Cat would be a great beginner boat for your dad. The only problem is that you may never get him off the sticks so that you can row that boat

KJ
Old 02-18-2012   #6

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I started boating with 14x22 maravias, then 14x24's, then 16x24's. They are all junk performance compared to the wave destroyer design. Or sotar for that matter. No offense to maravia lovers, as I still have a Zephyr raft. The wd cat is just such a step ahead if you plan on having fun on big water.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You'll love a 14' WD, it'll do everything you want to do with it, plus it's big enough for week long river trips with gear. I wouldn't even say light gear, a normal amount (not like some rafters take) is fine.

Hmmm, good deals on a WD? Doubt it, at least it is cheaper than a sotar.
Old 02-18-2012   #8

Sandy, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
I started boating with 14x22 maravias, then 14x24's, then 16x24's. They are all junk performance compared to the wave destroyer design. Or sotar for that matter. No offense to maravia lovers, as I still have a Zephyr raft. The wd cat is just such a step ahead if you plan on having fun on big water.
No offense taken, although calling the Maravia cats junk is a bit strong. Different strokes for different folks. I love my Cat and it works great for my multi-day class III - IV trips. I'm not a class V playcat person. I can tell a difference in handling after Maravia changed their design about 3 (?) years ago, and added more rocker to their tubes. That's enough performance for me
Old 02-18-2012   #9

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Get a cat to get stupid (solo) with. No point in catering to passenger(s) when you have a raft for that. IMO...

I vote WD or Legend. I own a 12.5 Legend and love it. You'll never want to go back to your round boat once you have a badass,light,rowdy cat for yourself.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #10

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Please don't mistake my opinion. Maravia builds some of the most durable products I have ever used. Top notch gear. The tube designs ( all that I owned) were unlike anything sotar and aire builds. They perform radically different in big water. That is all I meant.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote