Waterton Canyon Down and Up Race - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2015   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Waterton Canyon Down and Up Race

Saturday October 3rd, 4pm. Totally unofficial Waterton race.

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/987515771324114/

I've heard lots of talk about what a race would be like but never actually heard of one taking place so I'm running it

Mass start, no boat classes, starting line is the cable just below the put-in, must boat all rapids, takeout and run back up to the top. All carrying equipment allowed but you must boat it down with you. Wheel dollies, strap systems, etc all allowed but you have to boat them down with you. Winner is the first person back across the chain at the parking lot with all their gear.

I'm bringing beer (but if anyone has an "in" with a brewery that would like to be a sponsor let me know)

$5 suggested donation which will go to Colorado Preservation Inc to go towards saving the South Platte Hotel.

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not my cup of tea, but good work organizing this. Curious to see what type of contraptions come out. Long boater with a bike on his back?

Watch out with the money; in donations can be seen as commercial by a ranger and you run the risk of being shut down or ticketed.

I'm not sure of the details on that, but maybe you could give people envelopes to mail money, but even that might run afoul of the rules.

I know they shut Buzzards down for doing this on the poudre, but the no donations Gnarrows race is tolerated, provided it draws less than (I think) 75 combined participants and spectators.

Good luck!

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015   #3
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Where is Waterton canyon?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Sounds like a Pack Raft would be the perfect boat for something like this. Have fun and report back with photos!
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015   #5

Google South Platte Hotel,
Platte river road
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #6

sedalia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
WOW that sounds awesome, I wish I could be there but have to work. Thanks for the info on Colorado Preservation inc. (Didn't know it existed) Great cause! We were just talking 3 days ago about winning the lottery, buying, fixing up and opening that South Platte Hotel.

Maybe I will be a little sick that day...
newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #7

OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If I wan't already booked with moving I would have been there! Dang! Hope it goes well enough for there to be another one next year.
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015   #8

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I love the creativity in this. Wish I was around to play. Pleased post results and winning strategies on the Buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for all the support everyone! We currently have about 10 racers definitely signed up and another 15 or so maybes. More are definitely welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
WOW that sounds awesome, I wish I could be there but have to work. Thanks for the info on Colorado Preservation inc. (Didn't know it existed) Great cause! We were just talking 3 days ago about winning the lottery, buying, fixing up and opening that South Platte Hotel.

Maybe I will be a little sick that day...
Unfortunately even if you did win the lottery, Denver Water won't sell. They've said they might rent it to a person with a really well thought out plan, but they're never going to sell. They want to keep the land in case they decide to pursue the Twin Forks Dam again in the future.

For those of you who don't know, in the mid 90's there was a huge fight between Denver Water and the EPA about those rivers. Denver Water wanted to build a dam right at the top of Waterton Canyon that would create a reservoir that would flood all the way past Buffalo Creek on the North Fork (all of the Foxton section) and all the way to the outskirts of Deckers (all of the Deckers section). The EPA took them to town with the environmental impact study and they came to a stalemate. They eventually agreed that Denver Water wouldn't pursue a dam for 20 years if the EPA didn't pursue making it a Wild and Scenic River for 20 years. That 20 year agreement ends this year. So Denver Water will never sell the South Platte Hotel because they don't want to have to buy it back if they decide to put a dam there.
Old 09-29-2015   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilom View Post
making it a Wild and Scenic River
Do they really think they can get Wild & Scenic designation for this stretch? I can think of about twenty different rivers that would qualify for that designation MUCH more than those two.....On what grounds are they trying to say it's wild and scenic? The roads that parallel both forks? The private property that exists on both forks? The graffiti that shows up from time to time at the Chutes? Don't get me wrong, I am not for the dam by any means.....But when I think of "Wild & Scenic" I don't exactly think of Deckers and Foxton.