Waterton Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Waterton Canyon

Whats up with the reservoir project? Have they been dredging it? New rapids? Longer run? Does anyone run Waterton?

bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The reservoir project is downstream of Waterton, and has not affected the run at all. It gets run all the time, loved that run when I was down there.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...pen-42149.html
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Waterton is no different, but could be...if an act of God moved some rocks around...if you're listening up there Big Guy.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Dan what flake are you referring to? I have run both sides many times and the only real hazards are generally the magnetic FU rock at the bottom of the left channel and if you run too wide on the right ,at 1000-1200 say ,people sometimes get pushed towards two subsurface rocks about 2-3 feet apart on bottom right. I have seen a bridge pin there ,but the guy could push himself back upright off the rocks,luckily. It would have required really quick action to get to him quickly. Otherwise close to the rock on either side is usually good. At high flows the right side has a funky seam against the rock that most avoid,but if you overcompensate you get pushed towards the bridge pin.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
I suspect you are referring to the other post regarding Avalanche Flake. I totaly know what you mean about the left channel magnetic rocks, and that's not it. I'm talking about the flake on the rock that splits the river. The flake keeps moving to the left and now forms a sieve that is absolutely nasty. Get in there and take a look. Very easy to miss, but very real hazard to be aware of.

In regard to acts of God moving rocks. Avalanche aside, there is some room for improvement in that run. Say for example a clean 10-footer into the reservoir. Too much to ask?
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
start rolling boulders
Old 04-10-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
I thought you were talking about a boof flake or something. I was like what the hell is he talkin' 'bout ? So are you saying hugging the rock left is bad idea now? Of course i'll be heads up .

If the OP's post was true and they drained Strontia ,there were class V's in there before the rez. Right below the dam i think there is one good rapid, then just easy stuff, except a bigger deadly version of the dam people run on So. Bldr. Crk..

Shouldn't every run have a sweet vertical grand finale !
Old 04-10-2012   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
That canyon needs a logical middle and conclusion not a res. Things just start to get classy and then flatness. A 10 footer would be nice but the last one that is only there when the lake is low is so good. Good speed into a sweet pour over boof. It's big enough to freewheel 7' boats.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #9

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwest View Post
Whats up with the reservoir project? Have they been dredging it? New rapids? Longer run? Does anyone run Waterton?
We were just in there last weekend. It was really fun at 390 CFS.

The fin of rock on the left at the bottom of the into drop into Green Bridge got me a few times. Has that moved? I don't remember ever hitting anything in there.

Anyhow here is video of our paddle last Sun (Easter day 2012)
Waterton Canyon Easter 2012 - YouTube
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #10
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Good view of the sieve in the vid. If that thing shifts a little more it should form a sweet runnable spout.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote