Waterton at 4k - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2015   #1

Indian Hills, Colorado
Waterton at 4k

On Sunday that flood on the northfork (bailey) reached Waterton. I looked at the lower portion of the run in horror and didn't jump in. However, it's a completely legit piece of big water Class V at current levels. If you're itching for something new and have the marbles...go take a look. Pretty impressive.

Notable rapids:
Green Bridge river center hole. Sneak right or take the massive wave to hole on left.
Avalanche: massive near river-wide center hole. Crazy. There's thin lines on left or right. A hole ride would be terrifying.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2015   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nice. Been wondering what that looked like.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Nice. Been wondering what that looked like.
At current levels, you could run Foxton Boulder Garden to the confluence in about 2 hours. At the current 600 - 800 cfs range, it's pretty much flooded Class III/IVish, with some very serious wood. (Note....log in one of the slots in the boulder garden as of Sunday).

As others have noted, Foxton has terrific wave surfing above 650 or so.

Finish Foxton with Waterton! Eddies are scarce and the current is swift on the banks of Waterton. You'd want to scout the bottom of Waterton after the first rapid that runs into that big house rock. If you didn't scout your lines on Waterton, it could very well kill you. No joke whitewater in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
3 of us ran from the boulder garden through Waterton today at 4k. We were able to run right at GB and left at Avalanche. It was awesome!
Old 06-17-2015   #5
swimming

behind the 2nd flatiron, Colorado
Yep, awesome. Get it while it's here! Sorry for the water on the lens in avalanche.

https://youtu.be/9HYiieVpFn8
GroverGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Nice! That left line on Avalanche looked awfully clean. I wonder what the flow was when I was there (gage was offline)?
Old 06-17-2015   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Would you really consider that class V big water? The difficulty didn't seem terribly high, but maybe if you're considering the consequences - terminal holes, not-roadside, etc. etc. I could see your point. Definitely 3-4 big water difficulty. Note: not trying to start another ratings debate, just wondering since the video seems like its totally do-able, and fun. But big water class 5, to me, is totally NOT doable and NOT fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Nice! That left line on Avalanche looked awfully clean. I wonder what the flow was when I was there (gage was offline)?
Didn't the gage read "E" - for epic flow...? So when you were in there the flow was EPIC. So epic it couldn't be measured.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #8
swimming

behind the 2nd flatiron, Colorado
We called it IV+. I don't think any of the holes are keepers. The one at the bottom of the "S turn" on the right got punched and so did the one in avalanche. Both without issue. A swim in the top rapid would be pretty bad though. Biggest risk IMO is flush drowning.
GroverGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It looks a hell of a lot rowdier than the vid at 2400 we were debating,and I am sure that vid did not do justice to how pushy and powerful it felt/was...since when does Waterton have a bunch of laterals everywhere...sweet
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Go pro makes everything look easy.

Our single rating system doesn't do well categorizing really high water. Its common for a run to be a half grade easier at low water and a half grade higher at high water. Stomping high near flood stage is a whole different beast though.

Corran had a rating scale that judged technical difficulty, consequnces and remoteness separately. When thinking about it in those terms... a lot of big water is not technically difficult, but has class V consequences due to flush drowning potential.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote