Waterstick just went down the drain! - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2004   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Waterstick just went down the drain!

FYI...

For you all that might be interested. Waterstick (owned by Baycomp in Canada) just closed the doors a couple days back.

Not sure what is happening with ongoing warranty issues for right handed folks... but if you are forced to deal with the ever pleasant "Lynn" at Baycomp... GOOD LUCK. Her interest level in doing the right thing reminds me of something you might have heard about Abu Girab (sp?) prison in Iraq.

I for one am getting the screw job because of being left handed and the fact that they won't be molding any more custom paddles. I guess me being left handed gives them the reason to put the screws to me.

Too bad... a great design that just never made it over the hump.

Good luck.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004   #2

Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
custom paddles

Too bad about Waterstick. But if you want an awesome custom paddle, check out http://www.woodycustompaddles.com
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #3

I can't agree with you more there. Wayne makes a seriously kick ass paddle.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2004   #4

Dillon, Colorado
Without a doubt. I was with him is Salida one day this summer and he brought a few paddles. One guy loved it so much that he bought one of the demo paddles from him on the spot! He said it was the greatest paddle he had ever used.

It seems that everyone who tries a Woody paddle is hooked instantly.

Wayne also has said that they are as strong as any paddle out there. Nothing is unbreakable, but a Woody is as close as it gets.

By the way, did you purposely avoud the pun by not saying you're getting "the shaft" with Waterstick going under (yeah, I guess that's another pun... but unintentional)?
Old 10-11-2004   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
There are no pictures of the paddles on the website. I am assuming since they are wood paddles that they are all straight shaft, right?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #6

Dillon, Colorado
Yes, they have a wood core. But it doesn't stop there. Kevlar, graphite and fiberglass are also used in the construction process.

They can be made with a straight-shaft or a bent-shaft. Of course, most people these days want a bent-shaft paddle.

The cool thing about being a custom paddle company is that there is no such thing as a "stock" paddle. To quote the Woody website: "Remember the word Custom, we make a paddle that fits you and your specific needs...." You get custom shaft length and custom feather. Even the shaft diameter can be customized to fit your hand (within reason). At Woody Custom really means custom. It is not a matter of pre-fabricated pieces being put together. The paddle is made from scratch for you.

Earlier this summer, Wayne was making a custom paddle for EJ's son, Dane Jackson. An eleven year old kid needs more (or less) than just a shorter shaft. When you're that size, a narrower shaft and probably smaller blades are necessary.

On the home page of the Woody website, if you scroll down, there is a description of the construction. There is a picture of a paddle, but you can't tell from the angle, unless you look closely, that it is bent-shaft.

Also for people who have not seen a Woody, they are also a distinctive looking piece of (extremely functional) artwork.
Old 10-11-2004   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
Well I guess my next question would be about weight. My waterstick is a very light paddle.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #8

I own both... and USED to be a very big Waterstick fan. Mostly because of the blade shape and power it generated. Two problems develped though... sore shoulders and sore back.

I have since learned that blade shape size is important for a number of reasons and that a larger/power style blade isn't actaully "better". Primarily because of the health issues that developed (mentioned above).

To answer your questions gh... you are going to have a hard time finding a paddle lighter than the Waterstick Zen.. no argument there. But you probably can't find one with more issues either, besides the Seven 2...

Woody's are VERY light considering their materials and most important... they really leave you with a sense of confidence of "if this paddle breaks I more than likely am in a situation in which I will have a lot more to be worried about then buying another!!!"

They are well balanced, super strong, and true works of art.
Old 10-12-2004   #9

Dillon, Colorado
thread change

This thread has gotten off the topic of Waterstick. I am starting a new thread called "Paddle with a Woody" to continue at this pont.

I got an answer from Wayne at Woody regarding weight, pretty much what "thecraw" said. I will quote him in the new thread.
Old 10-12-2004   #10
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Paddles

Talked today with Lynn at Baycomp- always a joy. Now that's customer service. She won't say nothing, but "don't turn in a pre-season for next year".

We do have some Waterstick paddles in stock, so if you like them- we got'em. If you're looking for a warranty, that's not going to happen. Sorry. It's not us, it's the company that sold us the paddles that you need to talk to. We've got our hands tied on this one.

We do have the paddles on sale. And, they are marked down as much as we can afford to do so (20% off MSRP).

In other news. I just got off the line with Drew at AT paddles. Baycomp made the Waterstick paddles and the line of AT4 paddles for Adventure Technology. They will continue to make those paddles for now and into the future. Baycomp is still in business, they just shut the doors on the Waterstick division.

That's as much info as I have at this time.