Water in self bailing floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Water in self bailing floor

I seem to have gotten some water inside the floor in my self bailing raft. How did it get in and how do I get it out. It doesn't seem like a lot but when rolling it up it is heavier than I want. Any ideas?

coloradonymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #2
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
blow it up and then open the valve and suck it empty with a shop vac. then blow it up again and see if you got all the water out. repeat until no water is left inside it.

edit: as for how it got in there, the water could get in if you have a small leak in the floor and then it goes flat enough, while on the river, that the pressure of air coming out the hole is less than the water pressure trying to push it's way into the hole.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #3

Ponchalida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
water in tubes/ floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradonymph View Post
I seem to have gotten some water inside the floor in my self bailing raft. How did it get in and how do I get it out. It doesn't seem like a lot but when rolling it up it is heavier than I want. Any ideas?

in the past i have flipped the boat over, say on the trailer, with the closed valves being the lowest point. let the water settle by the valve(s) and open the valve. repeat as necessary. this worked fine in my case, the shop vac would probably be faster; though the hardest part for me was finding someone to lift the boat while i opened the valves. good luck
coronet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Make sure you get all the water out, especialy if you have stitched in "I" beams. Water will rot away the stitching which could cause an "I" beam failure.
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote