Water Availability in Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2008   #1

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Water Availability in Grand Canyon

I am looking for some info on side creeks and getting water to filter in january and part of feb........
Does anyone have prior trips though the grand(in winter months) that remember how much the little creeks were running? how often did you refill? I am willing to refill everyother day or every 3rd day if possible.. gonna rent a huge katadyn water filter from Ceiba..

I went down in 05 but dont really remember much other that we got water at phantom. I know there are tons of side canyons and alot of it might depend on how much its snowing or raining up high. Help a brother out here so We can bring more wiskey and box wine, and less water containers........................................ ......

1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If you are renting the big filter you have an entire river to use.

Just fill up a couple of buckets, wait to let the sediment settle then filter away, good times.

They should provide a cleaning sponge for the ceramic filter, if I remember correctly we would clean the filter every couple of gallons.
stinginrivers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1whitewattafoo View Post
I am looking for some info on side creeks and getting water to filter in january and part of feb........
Does anyone have prior trips though the grand(in winter months) that remember how much the little creeks were running? how often did you refill? I am willing to refill everyother day or every 3rd day if possible.. gonna rent a huge katadyn water filter from Ceiba..

I went down in 05 but dont really remember much other that we got water at phantom. I know there are tons of side canyons and alot of it might depend on how much its snowing or raining up high. Help a brother out here so We can bring more wiskey and box wine, and less water containers........................................ ......

Here is a list of good raw water locations.

Where to Find Water - Rafting Grand Canyon

It helped alot on my trip last fall. We had 10 gallons on each boat and stopped every 3-4 days to pump. We had a Katadyn and it was sweet.

I remember Vaseys, Tapeats, Deer Creek and Elves Chasm were some of the better tasting sources. Most streams that are short and come from limestone are the best choices. Phantom water sucked really really bad! I dumped mine out and refilled with treated creek water.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah, as long as the river isn't in flood, you can filter out of it all the time. But the flows of the the little creeks will be the same. They're all spring fed.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008   #5

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginrivers View Post
If you are renting the big filter you have an entire river to use.

Just fill up a couple of buckets, wait to let the sediment settle then filter away, good times.

They should provide a cleaning sponge for the ceramic filter, if I remember correctly we would clean the filter every couple of gallons.

. I dont wanna us the water directly from the CO, little day light and heavy sediment are factors I am considering, little day light because I dont wanna waste time watching water settle, heavy sediment cuz I would rather not kill the filter and have to be cleaning it all the time. evey couple of gallons is pretty frequent when yur thinking about 20gal at a time. when I went in 05 we didnt clean the filter once and filterd outta side creeks using the bucket method. instead of cleaning filters we wanna be throwing shoes, hiking, and sippin B&B.
Old 10-30-2008   #6

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
hey danrauer thanks alot for the help that covers all questions I had, appretiate it.
Old 11-01-2008   #7

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Not orthodox anymore, but the CO is generally diluted enough that you can drink right out of it if it's not right by a tributary. Did this on multiple backpacking trips in the 80s/90s and was fine. In fact, it was standard practice in the Canyon for lots of folks back then. I wouldn't do it anymore, b/c since then I've had giardia overseas (not from drinking out of the rivers there) and it's not worth it. But in a pinch, I'd have no problem doing it on the Grand if I was thirsty. Not ideal, but in that particular case, I would do it without much worry.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
There is a waste water treatment plant at the Dam above Lees. It is for the visitors center. From what I've heard, it has had a couple of problems removing fecal bacteria from their discharge. Just what I heard.

Many people settle and treat the water from the Colorado, it does not mean it is the best thing. There are plenty of side streams if you plan accordingly...and have each boat carry 10 gallons of water.
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #9

Gunnison, Colorado
Might check and see what the water is doing for that time. I just got off the grand and we had a constant flow the entire trip. this kept the Co pretty clear most of the way and we had no problems filtering till the last 50 miles or so when we just had to let it sit a little before filtering.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
They've started the fluctuating flows again. It's between ~7,000 and 12,500 cfs or so.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand canyon, whiskey, winter trips